STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The Bryant University track & field team saw several members earn qualifying times on the first day of the 2018 Northeast Conference Indoor Championships Friday at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Staten Island.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"Today went very well for both our Men and Women," Bryant head track & field coach Mitchell Switzer said. "Across the board, we had great performances but getting points out of Chris [Fasano] and Matt [McGovern] is huge. On top of that, this is the most athletes we have had make a final. They set themselves up to have a very successful day two, and I am excited to see where it goes."
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- Senior Ryan Poholek (North Attleboro, Mass.) earned the top time in qualifying for the mile. Poholek finished the event in 4:21.17 and will compete in the finals on Saturday.
- Sophomore Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.) qualified for the finals in the 400-meter, finishing third in qualifying. Murray finished the event in 50.02 seconds, just a half-second shy of the top time.
- Freshman Chris Fasano (Lake Grove, N.Y.) finished sixth in the weight throw, earning the men's team three points in the standings. Fasano recorded a distance of 14.44 meters. Fasano's sixth-place finish is the highest ever by a Bryant thrower in an NEC Indoor Championship.
- Junior Matt McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) also picked up points on the men's side, finishing seventh overall in the 1500-meter run. McGovern earned a time of 8:42.86 in the event.
- Junior Evan Smith (Chester, Conn.) narrowly missed moving to the finals in the 60-meter dash. Smith finished with a time of 7.17 seconds.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- Senior Melissa Lodge (Hopkinton, Mass.) earned the top overall time in the mile qualifiers. Lodge finished with a time of 5:11.14 to lead all participants.
- Sophomore Olivia Weiss (Newton, N.J.) earned the second qualifier in the same event, recording a time of 5:15.45.
- Senior Sarah Lapham (Greenwich, N.Y.) narrowly missed qualifying for Saturday's finals in the mile. She finished nine seconds shy of the final qualifying spot, finishing with a time of 5:30.71.
- Sophomore Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.Y.) had the fastest qualifier in the 400-meter dash. Cluck finished with a time of 56.99 seconds.
- Fellow sophomore Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) ran the third-fastest qualifying time in the 800-meter run. Sullivan's time of 2:22.28 was just a second behind the second-place finisher.
- The men are currently in seventh place with five points.
- The women have yet to score at the 2018 NEC Indoor Championships but are primed to do so with the success the team had in qualifying.
The Bulldogs will be back in action tomorrow when they wrap up the NEC Indoor Championships with the final rounds. All track final events will be streamed live on NEC Front Row.