SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University track & field team won four events and entered the Bryant Top-10 record book 17 times as the Bulldogs opened their outdoor season at the Black & Gold Invitational in Smithfield on Saturday.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS:
"I'm really happy with how today went. I think it was really cool to see the support we had from the university and from some of the other teams on campus. We had a huge alumni base out today supporting, and everyone who sponsored events, we are very thankful. Across the board, our athletes really felt the energy and had some great performances. For the seniors to be able to compete at home and get honored was exciting."
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- After breaking the indoor shot put record, freshman Chris Fasano (Lake Grove, N.Y.) made the outdoor record his, as well. Fasano threw a distance of 15.83 meters in the Anthony J. Fasano, Jr. Memorial Men's Shot Put, placing first in the event. The freshman also placed third in the Anthony T. McAndrews, Jr. Memorial Men's Discus Throw with a distance of 47.51 meters, good for second all-time in program history. Fasano qualified for the ECAC/IC4A Championships in each event.
- Senior Ryan Poholek (Attleboro, Mass.) finished sixth overall in the Bryant Senior Distance Runners Robbie and Ryan 1500 Meter and also ran to a third-place finish in the Smackdown vs. RAW Men's 800 Meter.
- Sophomore Christopher Wrenn (Norton, Mass.) finished right behind Poholek in the 800 meter. Wrenn finished fourth with a time of 1:56.84 and is seventh all-time at Bryant.
- Junior Matt McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) took home a sixth-place finish in the Blake Fenwick '15 Men's 5,000 Meter with a time of 15:32.97.
- Freshman Nick Alessandro (Pomfret Center, Conn.) finished 13th in the javelin in his debut in the event, throwing a distance of 51.12 meters. Graduate student Keenan Devaney (Tolland, Conn.) finished behind him with a distance of 51.09 meters. The two are now seventh and eighth in program history, respectively.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.Y.) set a program record and finished second overall in the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.02 seconds. Junior Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) finished ninth in the event with a time of 60.04 seconds, good for fifth in the Bryant record book. Perryman, a member of the Bryant field hockey team, made her collegiate track & field debut on Saturday.
- Senior Melissa Lodge (Hopkinton, Mass.) set a new personal best in the 5,000 meter, finishing the event in 17:03.98. The time broke the Black & Gold Invitational record and is second all-time in program history. The time also qualified Lodge for the ECAC/IC4A Championships.
- Sophomore Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) started off the Black & Gold Invitational by winning the Class of '81 Women's 3,000 Meter Steeple Chase with a time of 11:15.88, the second-fastest time in Bryant history.
- Olivia Weiss (Newtown, N.J.) won the Women's 800 Meter with a time of 2:19.65. The sophomore also took home a second-place finish in The Roy Lapidus & Coach Reinhardt Women's 1500 Meter with a time of 4:41.71 and is now seventh in program history in the event.
- Senior Shirley Carrington (Dorchester, Mass.) finished second overall in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.72 seconds, just one-hundredth of a second behind the first-place finisher. Carrington also finished fourth in the triple jump with a distance of 10.36 meters, good for third all-time at Bryant.
- Sophomore Courtney Kelleher (Wrentham, Mass.) placed fourth in the shot put, throwing a distance of 11.80 meters. The distance is third-best in Bryant program history in the outdoor event. Kelleher also threw the fourth-best distance in the discus, throwing for a mark of 33.64 meters.
- Freshman Megan Parker (Middletown, Conn.) made her collegiate debut in the javelin and threw a distance of 31.37 meters. The distance sits her fifth in program history.
- The Black & Gold Invitational marks Bryant's lone home meet of the season.
- There was a Senior Ceremony prior to the start of events, honoring the 10 seniors on the Bryant track & field team. Seniors Deion Raper (Brockton, Mass.), Robert McCabe (Marlborough, Mass.), Andrew Franco (Ridgefield, Conn.), Shannon Gay (Woburn, Mass.), Sarah Lapham (Greenwich, N.Y.), Rebecca Varney (East Longmeadow, Mass.), Carrington, Lodge, Poholek and Devaney were all honored on the turf field before the women's steeplechase.
Bryant stays in the region and travels to Amherst, Massachusetts, to take part in the UMass Invitational next Saturday, April 7.