SMITHFIELD, R.I. – In school-record fashion, Bryant University track and field senior Melissa Lodge (Hopkinton, Mass.) won the 5k in the Bulldogs' appearance at the Ocean State Invite over the weekend, held at Brown University. Bryant athletes also competed at the SCSU Northeast Combined Events Challenge, held at Southern Connecticut State in New Haven, Conn.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS:
"We had a busy weekend that was highlighted by Melissa's 5k on Friday. She ran a phenomenal race and gave herself a chance to make the NCAA East Regional Meet in May, which, if it happens, would be a first for our program."
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- The runners were highlighted by a pair of fourth-place finishes from juniors Adam Winiarz (Norton, Mass.) and Alec Binette (Glastonbury, Conn.). Winiarz ran a 22.57 in the 200-meter dash, while Binette clocked in at a personal-best 50.46 in the Friday edition of the 400-meter dash.
- Senior Ryan Poholek (Attleboro, Mass.) broke the school record in the mile, running in an IC4A/ECAC qualifying time of 4:12.19.
- Junior Matt McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) finished the 3000-meter dash in 8:59.97, which was good for eighth.
- Binette and Winiarz combined with freshman Anthony Holloway (Forked River, N.J.) and junior Evan Smith (Chester, Conn.) finished second in the 4x100 relay with a time of 43.12.
- Sophomore James Guimetti (Duxbury, Mass.) led three Bulldogs inside the Top 10 of the long jump, finishing with a best jump of 6.18 meters.
- In the triple jump, Holloway and sophomore David Lackard (Framingham, Mass.) finished 5-6 for the Bulldogs. Holloway's best mark came at 12.79 meters, while Lackard finished less than half a meter behind at 12.31 meters.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- In New Haven, senior Shirley Carrington (Dorchester, Mass.) set a new school record in the Heptathlon, scoring 3745 points. She finished fifth in the event.
- Back at the Ocean State Invite, Lodge finished the 5k in 16:34.36, smashing the school record by 25.19 seconds.
- Sophomore Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) finished third for Bryant in the steeplechase with a time of 11.20.09.
- Junior Alexandra Watts (Clinton, Conn.) led the field performers for Bryant, finishing 5th in the pole vault with a mark of 3.04 meters.
- The 4x100 relay time of 43.12 is good for 10th all-time in program history.
- Poholek smashed the previous school record of 4:15.37, set in 2016.
- The old Heptathlon record was 3609 points, set by Amanda Dilley in 2013.
The Bulldogs will compete again Rhode Island next Saturday as the team heads to Providence for the Ocean State Invitational hosted by Providence College.