SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.Y.) shattered the 400-meter school record over the weekend as the Bryant University track and field team competed at three different events over the weekend: the George Davis Invite at UMass Lowell, a beach weekend event at Long Beach State and the Mt. SAC Relays at El Camino College.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS:
"While we did have a new school record set by Emily in the 400, this weekend was a very large learning opportunity for the team overall, and hopefully it provides a bit of motivation over the next two weeks as we gear up towards championships. Every team is faced with a tough meet from time to time, but the teams who succeed are the ones who are able to bounce back and learn from that experience. We had a similar situation with indoor and the team really stepped up. I expect the same to happen in two weeks."
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- Senior Ryan Poholek (Attleboro, Mass.) ran a personal-record 3:55.88 in the 1,500 meters at Mt. SAC.
- Sophomore Christopher Wrenn (Norton, Mass.) clocked in at 1:57.84 in the 800 meters, good for a third-place finish at UMass Lowell.
- Senior Deion Raper (Brockton, Mass.) recorded a pair of top-six finishes at UMass Lowell. He finished the 110 hurdles in 15.71, good for sixth and ran the 200 meters in 22.93, which placed him fifth overall.
- Junior Matt McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) finished 13th in the 5,000 meters at Mt. SACs in a time of 15:43.71.
- Bryant's 4x400 relay team of juniors Brian Salit (Seekonk, Mass.) and Joseph Suita (Unionville, Conn.), sophomore Cole Hollis (North Smithfield, R.I.) and Wrenn finished fifth with a time of 3:50.42.
- Freshmen Ryan Dumont (Salem, Mass.) and Anthony Holloway (Forked River, N.J.) led the way in the triple jump, finishing third and fourth, respectively. Dumont finished with a 12.48-meter mark, while Holloway was 0.01 behind him.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- Cluck ran a 55.03 in the 400 meters, besting the old school record by 1.96 seconds.
- Sophomore Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) ran a personal-record 4:37.69 in the 1500 meters.
- Senior Shirley Carrington (Dorchester, Mass.) recorded three top-seven finishes over the weekend. She ran a 12.78 100-meter race, followed by a fourth-place finish in the long jump (5.19 meters) and a fifth-place finish in the triple jump (10.61 meters).
- Senior Sarah Lapham (Greenwich, N.Y.) finished fourth at UMass Lowell in the 1500 meters, running a 5:03.78 race.
- Senior Melissa Lodge (Hopkinton, Mass.) ran the 1,500 meters at Long Beach in 4:34.02, which is the third-best time in the event for a Bulldog.
- The previous school record in the 400 meters was held by Cluck, who ran a 56.02 earlier this season.
- Lodge now owns three of the top four times ran in the 1,500 in Bryant outdoor history.
- Poholek's 3:55.88 in the 1,500 meters is a team-best mark this season.
Bryant has one final tune-up meet on Saturday when they compete at the Skyhawk Invitational held at Stonehill College.