EMMITSBURG, MD. – After two days at the Northeast Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships, the men's team finished in their highest position ever, while the women's side had a consistent presence on the medal podium when it was all said and done at Mount St. Mary's.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
Our 4x4 relays on both sides stepped up big time to help us close the weekend on a high note. It has been very exciting to see how the team has progressed this season. It truly takes a full team effort to have the year we have had. They have really set the tone for future years and I am glad the seniors can walk away knowing the program is in good hands.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- Senior Ryan Poholek (Attleboro, Mass.) earned silver in men's 800m, finishing with a time of 1:55.44. Sophomore Christopher Wrenn (Norton, Mass.) finished the race in 2:02.14, good for eighth.
- The 4x400 relay team of freshman Joshua Pestana (Plymouth, Mass.), sophomore Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.), junior Alec Binette (Glastonbury, Conn.) and Wrenn finished in 3:24.83, which placed them fourth. Binette joined juniors Evan Smith (Chester, Conn.) and Adam Winiarz (Norton, Mass.), as well as freshman Anthony Holloway (Forked River, N.J.) in the 4x100 relay that also scored, placing eighth.
- Freshman Bill Conlan (Seymour, Conn.) threw his third hammer at a 43.32m mark, good for sixth in the event.
- Freshman Nick Alessandro (Pomfret Center, Conn.) placed seventh in the javelin with a throw of 54.05m on his last try. Senior Keenan Devaney (Tolland, Conn.) was eighth in the event with a throw of 49.78m.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- Sophomores Olivia Weiss (Newton, N.J.) and Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) each recorded top-four finishes in the 1500m. Weiss ran a time of 4:40.40, good for silver and eight points for the Bulldogs. Sullivan picked up five points with a fourth-place time of 4:40.66.
- Sophomore Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.Y.) finished second in the 400m with a time of 55.40.
- Junior Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) joined Cluck, Sullivan and Weiss in the 4x400 relay, finishing third with a time of 3:55.18.
- The Bryant men finished the meet seventh with 38 points, nine ahead of FDU. Bryant's women ended the weekend ninth with 27 points.
- The 4x400 relay team shattered the school record by 2.86 seconds.
- Alessandro bested his previous personal best of 51.12m, thrown this season at the Black and Gold Invitational in March.
- Conlan's previous best throw was 41.47m, done at the Minuteman Invitational on April 7.