SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's and women's outdoor track and field team hosted its annual Black and Gold Invitational over the weekend. The women's posted 21.5 points as a team for a 10th place team effort, and the men finished with 90.5 points for a fourth place finish.
The men's team finished with the most amount of points that it has ever posted at the Black and Gold Invitational.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"Today was a really great step in the right direction for our team," said head coach Mitch Switzer. "There's a lot of excitement that comes with competing at home and the team fed off that. We walked away with two ECAC/IC4A performances, a school record, a meet record and a bunch of PRs. A big thank you to everyone who came out to support and help with the meet today."
TEAM SCORES (W)
- Holy Cross – 150
- UMass Amherst – 149
- Brown – 140
- Rhode Island – 77
- Assumption – 75.5
- WPI – 52
- RIC – 44
- Merrimack – 33
- Siena – 30
- Bryant – 21.5
- Bentley – 19
- Nichols - 1
TEAM SCORES (M)
- Rhode Island – 190
- Brown – 101.5
- UMass Amherst – 96
- Bryant – 90.5
- Holy Cross – 62.5
- WPI – 62
- Siena – 52
- Merrimack – 48
- Assumption – 35
- RIC – 22
- Nichols – 18.5
- Bentley – 12
- Hartford – 10
MEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- The 4x400 team of Alec Binette (Glastonbury, Conn.), Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.), Andrew Canale (Lincroft, N.J.) and Adam Winiarz (Norton, Mass.), came away with a first place finish in the Hafiz Greigre & Joe Brennan - Class of '07 Men's 4x400 race. The relay team finished the race with a time of 3:19.54 breaking the meet record.
- Canale also competed in the 400-meter, where he set a personal record of 48.87 which also qualified him for ECAC/IC4As. His time was good for a second place finish and a spot in Bryant's top-10 record book in the fourth spot. Murray and Binette also scored for the Bulldogs in the 400m as Binette posted a time of 50.73, and Murray with a time of 49.85.
- Freshman Jason Dolan (Westford, Mass.) finished third in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:58.10. He is now sixth all-time at Bryant in that event. Jordan Dagrin (North Kingstown, R.I.) also scored in the event, setting a PR of 3:59.82.
- Noah Tellier (North Kingstown, R.I.) broke the program record in the McCabe Family Men's 10,000m, posting a record-breaking time of 31:47.59. Tellier finished third in the event.
- Sophomore Jacob Borgia (Westborough, Mass.) finished second in the Aim High Men's Pole Vault event, setting a PR of 4.30m. He is now tied for fourth all-time at Bryant.
- Junior David Lackard (Framingham, Mass.) set a personal-best in the triple jump event, jumping 12.46 meters.
- In hammer throw, Bill Conlan (Seymour, Conn.) set a personal best of 44.70 meters.
- Nick Alessandro (Pomfret Center, Conn.) is now third all-time in javelin, throwing 54.69 meters in the Tupper Men's Javelin event. The mark set a new PR for the sophomore.
- Freshman Bodie Avery (Fairlee, Vt.) led the Bulldogs in the Blake Fenwick '15 Men's Seeded 5,000m. Avery finished the race with a time of 16:51.95.
- For the second year in a row, sophomore Chris Fasano (Lake Grove, N.Y.) led Bryant in The Fasano Family Men's Shot Put as well as The Fasano Family Men's Discus events. In shot put, Fasano finished fourth throwing 14.41 meters before finishing seventh with a 44.06 mark in discus.
WOMEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Junior Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.J.) led the way for the women with a first place finish in the 400-meter. Cluck posted a PR of 55.93, which qualified her for ECAC/IC4A. She is now second all-time at Bryant as she currently holds the top time which she set last season.
- Freshman Julia Ayres (Collegeville, Pa.) finished sixth in the Ayres Insurance Agency Women's 10,000-meter with a personal-best time of 41:51.55.
- Junior Breann Campise entered Bryant's top-10 record book in the Class of 1981 Women's 3,000 Steeple Chase. Campise finished the race with a time of 12:54.94 and is now ranked fourth all-time at Bryant.
- Shileigh Martinez broke her personal record in pole vault. The rookie cleared 3.10 meters, ranking her third all-time.
- Courtney Kelleher (Wrenthem, Mass.) scored for the Bulldogs in shot put by throwing 12.05 meters.
- Freshman Laura Rizik set a new personal best in hammer throw, throwing 34.98 meters.
- In the Charlie Mandeville Women's 1,500m freshman Sarah Freeman (Merrimac, Mass.) led the Bulldogs with a time of 5:12.60.
Bryant heads to Amherst for the UMass Invitational on Saturday, April 6.
Thank you to all of our sponsors for helping to make the Black and Gold Invitational a success!
Class of 1981 Women's 3,000 Steeple Chase
Shawn M. Nassaney '98 Men's 3,000 Steeple Chase
Stick Stick Stick Stick Women's 4x100m Relay
Charlie Mandeville Women's 1,500m
Smackdown vs. Raw Men's 800m
Kristen Hayes '16 Chocolate Milk Women's 400m Hurdles
|Blake Fenwick '15 Men's Seeded 5,000m|
Hall of Fame Women's 4x400m Relay
Hafiz Greigre & Joe Brennan - Class of '07 Men's 4x400m Relay
Ayres Insurance Agency Women's 10,000m
The McCabe Family Men's 10,000m
|Tupper Men's Javelin|
The Fasano Family Men's Shot Put
|Aim High Men's Pole Vault|
|The Fasano Family Men's Discus|