PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Sophomore Jacob Borgia (Westborough, Mass.) broke the Bryant University outdoor track and field record in pole vault this weekend as the Bulldogs competed in Ocean State Invitational at both Brown and Providence College.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENT
"The Ocean State Invite turned out to be a very successful weekend for us. As a check-in midway through our outdoor season, we walked away with a new school record, an IC4A qualifier, and numerous new PRs. We have a few weeks until the NEC Championship meet so it's time to buckle down and focus through the end of the season."
MEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Borgia set a new program record in pole vault, clearing a height of 4.45m. He surpassed Hayes Watson for the top spot. Watson cleared 4.40m back in 2015. Junior Nicholas Curci (Jupiter, Fla.) was also successful in the pole vault event as he set a new PR of 4.30m.
- Freshman Jason Dolan (Westford, Mass.) and sophomore Christopher Wrenn (Norton, Mass.) each entered Bryant's top-10 record book for the 800m. Dolan is now third all-time with a PR of 1:53.25, while Wrenn is now fifth with a time of 1:54.64.
- The Bulldogs were represented well in the mile run as all three Bryant runners set PRs and placed themselves in the top-10 record book. Freshman William Bittrich (Duxbury, Mass.) led the Bulldogs with a time of 4:15.28, ranking him second all-time. Sophomore Jordan Dagrin (North Kingstown, R.I.) is now third all-time, posting a PR of 4:19.55, and freshman Bodie Avery (Fairlee, Vt.) ranks eighth all-time with a new PR of 4:34.98.
- The long-distance duo of Matt McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) and Noah Tellier (North Kingstown, R.I.) led the Bulldogs in the 5,000m run, placing 20 and 21st overall. McGovern posted a time of 15:15.09, ranking him third all-time at Bryant. Tellier posted a new PR of 15:19.03 as he now ranks seventh all-time.
- Brett Cloutier (North Attleboro, Mass.) and James Williams (Windham, N.H.) each broke their PRs in shot put while also entering Bryant's top-10 record book. Cloutier is now second all-time throwing 14.65m, and Williams is now ninth throwing 12.67m.
WOMEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Freshman Nicole Xiarhos (Berlin, Conn.) finished seventh overall in the 100-meter this weekend. The rookie set a new PR of 12.69 ranking her sixth all-time.
- Breann Campise (Tolland, Conn.) and Caroline Meizen (Douglas, Mass.) both found success in the mile run by placing themselves in Brant's record book. Campise set a new personal-best with a time of 5:32.04 ranking her sixth all-time, while Meizen posted a time of 5:58.68 and is now seventh all-time.
- Shileigh Martinez (North Kingstown, R.I.) ranks among the top three all-time at Bryant for pole vault. The freshman cleared a height of 3.20m ranking her third.
Bryant heads south to compete in the Duke Invitational in Durham, N.C. The meet will begin on Friday, April 19 and end on Saturday, April 20.