KINGSTON, R.I. – Junior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W. Va,) recorded a double-double with 16 points and 20 rebounds but it wasn't enough as the Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Brown, 84-68, in game one of the Ocean State Tip Off Tournament.
Brown 84, Bryant 68
Records: Bryant 2-5, Brown 5-4
Location: Ryan Center (Kingston, R.I.)
COACH BURKE COMMENT
"In the beginning of the game we came out tight," says head coach Mary Burke. Brown came out very explosive on the offensive end and established a lead, which made us tentative. They fell back into a zone and we had trouble scoring. It was nice to see at the end of the game when we put the press on, players were trying to fight and scrap to get the ball back and score efficiently. However, unlike the first time we played Brown, we didn't defend very well and they had the ability to score and beat us in defensive transition. We also didn't attack and put them in foul trouble either, like we did the first time around."
- In the second quarter, Brown went on an 11-2 run. The Bears outscored Bryant 28-13 in that quarter as the Bulldogs found themselves trailing by 20 points right before halftime.
- After the Bulldogs fought their way to a nine point deficit, the Bears went on another 11-2 run, taking back their 20-point lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant started slow going scoreless for the first two and a half minutes until Haley Connors (West Hartford, Conn.) hit a three to get Bryant on the board.
- Brown got into foul trouble early as leading scorer, Shayna Mehta, tallied two early in the first quarter. The Bears didn't seem phased with their starting point guard absent as they shot 41% from the field, compared to Bryant's 30%.
- In the second quarter, Brown went on an 11-2 run led by Justine Gaziano who kicked off the quarter with a three. Gaziano would go on to score a game-high of 35 points.
- Bryant came out with a lot of energy to start the second half as Holloway and Ashley kick started the Bulldog's offense with driving layups.
- In less than a minute, Ashley made three back-to-back steals to help put the Bulldogs within 12.
- The Bulldogs got as close as nine in the fourth quarter as Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) turned her fast break layup into a three-point conversion.
- The Bears responded by hitting two consecutive threes posting an 11-2 run that would ultimately determine the game.
- Brown outshot Bryant with a shooting percentage of 47.2% compared to Bryant's 32.%.
- Bryant shot 16-29 from the free throw line.
- Both teams grabbed 49 rebounds apiece.
- Ashley led with a season-high seven steals.
- Holloway tied her season-high of 20 rebounds and led the Bulldogs with 16 points going 8-of-21 from the field.
- Boyce recorded nine points on 3-of-6 from the field and 1-of-3 from three.
- Palmer was the second leading scorer for Bryant with 15 points on 5-of-15 from the field and 2-of-8 from three, with five rebounds, three assists, and three steals.
- Holloway has scored in double digits in every game so far this season. The junior also recorded her fifth double-double of the year, 24 of her career. She now moves up to seventh for Division I Scoring Leaders at Bryant with 925 career points.
- Today's game marks the second time this season that Holloway has grabbed 20 rebounds against Brown.
- Boyce's nine points marks her career-high as a Bulldog.
- Ashley recorded a season-high of seven steals, just two shy of tying her career-high of nine.
- Bryant falls to 8-5 all-time against Brown.
- The Bulldogs are now 2-3 all-time at the Ocean State Tip Off Tournament.
- Bryant has yet to be out-rebounded so far this season.
- The Bulldogs recorded a season-high 15 steals as a team. The last time Bryant compiled that many steals was in a Feb. 19 win over Wagner.
Bryant will meet with Providence College in the consolation game of the Ocean State Tip Off tomorrow at noon in the Ryan Center.