SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball team topped the defending Northeast Conference champions, 66-63, on Martin Luther King Day.
Three Bulldogs reached double-digits including sophomore Hannah Scanlan (Rumson, N.J.) who led with 15 points, five rebounds, and three blocks. Junior Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) tallied 14 points as Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W. Va.) chipped in 12.
Bryant 66, Saint Francis U 63
Records: Bryant 5-12 (3-3), Saint Francis U 6-12 (3-3)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH BURKE COMMENTS
"I'm just super happy for the players, because we've had a couple frustrating games where we've fallen a little short despite great efforts. When we have great efforts and can get the W it feels a lot better. It took everything we had to get it done today as they have many great players. I'm just really happy with the effort and getting it done for 40 minutes."
- In the second quarter, Scanlan scored six straight points for the Bulldogs to go up by one heading into the second half.
- Saint Francis tied the game on four different occasions in the third quarter until Bryant went on a 10-0 run to bring the advantage back to the black and gold.
- The Red Flash went on an 8-0 run to tie the game again before Bryant went on an 8-0 run with six points coming from the foul line to win the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Francis heated up early going on a 10-2 run to take the initial lead in the first quarter.
- After Zegarowski hit the first layup for Bryant, Scanlan went on a 6-2 run by herself to put Bryant within four with 3:57 to go. Bryant finished out the quarter trailing by five, 21-16.
- With 1:42 on the clock, Trinity Bravo finds Scanlan up court for a fast-break layup. Less than a minute later, Scanlan hits another layup in the paint to put Bryant within one.
- Down at the defensive end, Bryant's defense forced Saint Francis to a missed shot giving the possession back to the black and gold. Scanlan drew a foul going up for a layup sending her to the foul line where she hit both to give Bryant the one-point advantage at the end of the first half.
- To start the second half, Bryant scored the first three points to make the score 36-32 before the Red Flash hit back-to-back three pointers to take the lead.
- After tying the score up four times, Zegarowski drove to the basket to bring the advantage back to Bryant sparking a 10-0 run. Bryant led 54-44 to end the third quarter.
- Coming out of a timeout, Saint Francis went on a 8-0 run to tie the game at 58-58.
- Holloway sank a layup to take the lead back before Bryant scored its last six points at the charity stripe shooting a perfect 6-6 to ice the game.
- Scanlan led with 15 points shooting 5-of-10 from the field.
- Zegarowski compiled 14 points with two threes shooting 5-of-10 from the field. The junior also chipped in three rebounds and a steal.
- Holloway was one rebound shy of a double-double scoring 12 points and grabbing nine rebounds.
- Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) led with three steals adding five points, six rebounds, and three assists.
- Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) scored all eight of her points from the charity stripe shooting a perfect 8-8.
- Bryant outrebounded Saint Francis, 46-34.
- Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) tallied six points marking a career-high.
- Mary Burke is now five wins away from the 400-career win milestone.
- Bryant ties the all-time series record at 9-9.
Bryant hosts Central Connecticut on Saturday, January 26 at 1 p.m.