SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball grows to a two-game winning streak topping Central Connecticut, 72-60.
Bryant 72, Central Connecticut 60
Records: Bryant 6-12 (4-3), Central Connecticut 4-13 (1-6)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH BURKE COMMENTS
"I was really pleased with how we came out in the first half. We started getting our momentum going offensively with a lot of firepower and un-selfish basketball. Most importantly, we are continuing to grow on our defense. In the second half, we had a little bit of a dip. We had a couple of missteps but got it going again and finished the game on a great note."
- Scanlan led an 11-2 run to give Bryant its initial lead ending the first quarter, 25-12.
- Central Connecticut came within four in the fourth quarter before Bryant responded with a 10-0 run to end the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Haley Connors (West Hartford, Conn.) drove to the basket and dumped it off to Scanlan for an easy layup to kick start Bryant's scoring.
- With the scored tied at six apiece, the Bulldogs took off on an 11-2 run highlighted by Kiki Palmer doubling down in the post for a steal. Palmer pushed the ball up to Holloway for a fast-break layup.
- Mid-way through the second quarter, Central Connecticut cruised to an 8-2 run before Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) intercepted a pass off a sideline-out-of-bounds play and pushed the ball up court to Scanlan, 33-17.
- The Blue Devils continued to fight back responding with a quick 6-0 run to come within seven. Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) checked in and immediately pulled up at the top of the key for a three to extend Bryant's double-digit lead to end the half, 38-28.
- Connors started the scoring off for the Bulldogs knocking down her first three-pointer of the game followed up by fast break layup from Naomi Ashley (Hamilton, Ont.) to bring the score to 43-30 in Bryant's favor.
- Both teams had trouble growing to any sort of run as Central Connecticut shot 5-of-16 from the field and Bryant 6-of-19 in the third quarter. Bryant held a 12-point advantage heading into the fourth quarter, 52-40.
- Central's Kianna Patterson knocked down a three to extend the Blue Devils' 7-1 run coming within six of the Bulldogs. After the duo of Holloway and Scanlan hit back-to-back layups, Emma McCamus scored five straight for Central Connecticut cutting Bryant's lead to just four points.
- Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) and Connors bookended a 10-0 run as the Bulldogs took back their double-digit advantage for the remainder of the game.
- Holloway led with 20 points, 11 rebounds shooting 8-of-12 from the field.
- Scanlan added 17 points shooting 7-of-13, and led Bryant on the glass grabbing 12 rebounds.
- Zegarowski was Bryant's third-leading scorer of the game with 10 shooting 3-of-7 from the field knocking down a three-pointer.
- Palmer dished out seven assists.
- Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.), Scanlan, Palmer, and Bravo all tallied two steals as Ashley and Connors each added one.
- Bryant out-rebounded the Blue Devils by just one, 47-46.
- Scanlan's double-double is her first of the season, third of her career, while Holloway tallied her 13th of the season, 32nd of her career.
- Bryant extends to 12-9 against Central Connecticut all-time.
- Bryant hasn't gone on a winning streak since its first two wins of the 2018-19 season.
- Head coach Mary Burke is now four wins away from the 400 career win milestone.
UP NEXT: FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON
Bryant hits the road for a four-game road stretch stopping at Fairleigh Dickinson on Monday, January 28 at 7 p.m.