HACKENSACK, N.J. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell short against the Knights of Fairleigh Dickinson falling, 63-53.
Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W. Va.) and Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) both scored in double-figures as Holloway scored her second 20-point game in a row. Zegarowski was one point shy of tying her season-best with 15 points.
Fairleigh Dickinson 63, Bryant 53
Records: Bryant 6-13 (4-4), Fairleigh Dickinson 6-13 (3-5)
Location: Rothman Center (Hackensack, N.J.)
COACH BURKE COMMENTS
"Tough road game today. It is hard to have a lot of success on the road when we have trouble scoring and some lapses defensively. I thought FDU played a good level of basketball today. Unfortunately, we fell short and didn't take care of our responsibilities defensively with rebounding when necessary to overcome our offensive deficiencies."
- In the second quarter, Fairleigh Dickinson held Bryant to juts seven points after going on an 8-0 run to end the first half, 30-23.
- Zegarowski scored five straight points in the span of just 13 seconds by knocking down a three and then getting a steal and a fast break layup to give Bryant a two-point advantage.
- The Knights responded with a 13-2 run to give them the lead that they would not surrender for the remainder of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fairleigh Dickinson started the game off strong with a quick steal and fast-break layup in the opening play.
- After FDU knocked down back-to-back three pointers, Bryant went on an 11-0 run bookended by a pair of free throws from Holloway and Zegarowski ending the first quarter, 16-12.
- Fairleigh Dickinson took the lead at the 8:18 mark of the second quarter scoring the first five points with a three-pointer and a pair of points from the charity stripe. The Knights closed out the quarter with an 8-0 run holding Bryant to just seven points.
- The Knights held the Bulldogs to a 21.4% field goal percentage in the second quarter shooting 3-of-14.
- Bryant chipped away at the Knight's lead when Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) hit both of her shots at the foul line followed by an offensive rebound and a put-back from Holloway to put the Bulldogs within six as they headed into the fourth quarter, 42-36.
- With 6:48 to go in the fourth quarter, Zegarowski hit a three followed by a steal and a fast break layup to give Bryant the lead, 49-47.
- Immediately following Zegarowski's run, the Knights went on a 13-2 run with seven of their points coming from the charity stripe.
- Holloway led the way with 20 points, eight rebounds.
- Zegarowski added 15 points shooting 6-of-11 from the field.
- Both Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) and Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) grabbed two steals apiece.
- Naomi Ashley (Hamilton, Ont.) dished out three assists.
- 18 of FDU's 63 points came from the free throw line as the Knights shot 38.2%. Bryant shot 66.7% from the charity stripe shooting 12-of-18.
- Bryant was outrebounded, 42-33.
- Holloway tallied her second 20-point game in a row after tallying 20 against Central Connecticut.
- Although Zegarowski was one point shy of tying her season-high of 16 points, the junior still marked a season-best with six made field goals.
- Bryant is now 13-6 all-time against Fairleigh Dickinson.
UP NEXT: CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
Bryant meets with Central Connecticut on Saturday, February 2 at 1 p.m. before taking a week-long break from NEC play.