NEW BRITAIN, CONN. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Central Connecticut on Saturday afternoon, 66-65, thanks to a buzzer-beater three in New Britain, Conn.
Central Connecticut 66, Bryant 65
Records: Bryant 6-14 (4-5), Central Connecticut 6-13 (3-6)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium (New Britain, Conn.)
- Under a minute to go in the game, Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) pulled up for three to give Bryant the lead at 64-63. The Bulldogs then got a stop on the other end as Holloway was sent to the free throw line after the Blue Devils were called for an intentional foul.
- With the score at 65-63, Central Connecticut inbounded the ball in front of its bench finding Kianna Patterson in the corner. Patterson's shot was no good and the Blue Devils chased down the rebound and quickly got the ball to Bruna Vila Artigues for the game-winning three-point shot.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ashley started Bryant's offense in the first quarter scoring the first four points. Ashley first hit a pair of free throws followed by a steal and a full-court layup to take the initial lead, 4-2.
- In the middle of the first quarter, Central Connecticut went on a 9-0 run to take the lead before Palmer sank a three followed by a pair at the charity stripe to kick start Bryant's 11-1 run to end the quarter, 20-15.
- Central Connecticut went into the second quarter going on a 6-2 run to get back in the game as the second quarter brought three different lead changes.
- With under a minute to go in the half, Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) knocked down a ten-footer outside the paint to tie the game before half, 32-32.
- After Holloway made the first layup of the half, Kianna Patterson immediately hit a three on the next play down to put Central up one, 35-34.
- During the next possession, Ashley chased down the ball for a steal pushing the ball up to her teammates as Bryant strung passes together to hit Holloway wide open under the basket. Holloway's layup kick started a 10-2 Bulldog run to give Bryant a seven-point advantage.
- Before the third quarter ended, Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) found Hannah Scanlan (Rumson, N.J.) posting up for a quick two points to give Bryant its biggest lead of the day, 54-42, shooting 52.9 percent from the field for the quarter.
- With two minutes to go in the game, Central Connecticut hit a pair of free throws to tie the game at 61 apiece. In Central's next possession, Patterson drove to the basket to take the lead 63-61.
- Coming out of a timeout with 18 seconds to go, Palmer pulled up for three at the top of the key to give Bryant the one-point advantage. The Bulldogs then got a stop on defense as Holloway stole the ball and got thrown to the ground for an intentional foul. Holloway then made one-of-two at the foul line.
- In an attempt to regain the possession, Central Connecticut sent Scanlan to the line as the sophomore forward missed both. The Blue Devils grabbed the rebound and called for a timeout.
- Out of the timeout, Patterson spotted up in the corner for three with just two seconds to go. The ball hit the back of the rim and Central came up with the rebound and quickly found Bruna Vila Artigues for the game-winning three.
- Holloway posted 27 points, 16 rebounds shooting 11-of-20 from the field including two three-pointers.
- Ashley was the second-leading scorer for Bryant with 15 points, five rebounds, and five steals.
- Palmer added eight points leading with three assists.
- Zegarowski chipped in seven points, two assists, and a steal.
- Bryant was even with Central on the board with 38 apiece.
- Holloway tied her season-high with 27 points and a career-high of two three-pointers made. This is the third game in a row that Holloway scored 20 points or more.
- Ashley's 15 points marks a season-high and the first time this season that Ashley has scored in double-figures against a Northeast Conference opponent.
- The Blue Devils continue to lead the series record in Connecticut as Bryant falls to 7-4 in New Britain. The Bulldogs still maintain the overall series record, 12-10.
UP NEXT: ROBERT MORRIS
Bryant takes a break from conference play this Monday and will be back in action on Saturday, February 9 when the Bulldogs travel to Robert Morris for a 7 p.m. tip.