LORETTO, PA. – Senior Haley Connors (West Hartford, Conn.) tied Bryant's all-time record in made three-pointers in a single game tonight with eight, but the Bryant University women's basketball team dropped a 78-66 decision to Saint Francis U tonight in Loretto.
Connors shot 8-of-16 from beyond the arc leading the Bulldogs with 24 points. Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W. Va.) and Naomi Ashley (Hamilton, Ont.) also added double figures as Holloway dropped 13 and Ashley chipped in 12 with nine rebounds.
Saint Francis U - 78, Bryant - 66
Records: Bryant 6-16 (4-6), Saint Francis U 11-12 (8-3)
Location: Degol Arena (Loretto, Pa.)
- Saint Francis U took off on a 19-4 run in the fourth quarter to grow its biggest lead of 18 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holloway started Bryant's offense to start the game grabbing the offensive rebound and getting the put back.
- After Connors sank a three to put Bryant up by one point, the Red Flash scored six straight to take the lead, 11-7. Saint Francis U did not give up its lead as they headed into the second quarter, 21-15.
- The Red Flash took a 15-point lead in the second quarter until Connors knocked down her third three of the night to get Bryant on the board.
- At the three-minute mark, Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) pushed the ball up to Holloway on back-to-back possessions for quick layups in transition. Holloway's layups sparked a 12-2 Bulldog run to end the half within five, 39-34.
- Connors then hit two three-pointers in a row to start the second half to give Bryant its first lead since the second half, 40-39.
- With under a minute to go in the third quarter, freshman Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) notched two layups to put Bryant within one as the Bulldogs headed into the fourth quarter, 54-51.
- Ashley weaved through defenders and pulled up in the paint to end a 7-0 Red Flash run in the fourth quarter.
- Saint Francis U responded to Ashley's jumper by going on a 14-2 run before Connors knocked down two three's in back-to-back possessions to tie the all-time record before the final buzzer.
- All 24 of Connor's 24 points came from beyond the arc as the senior shot 8-of-15 from three. Connors finished the game with two assists and two rebounds.
- Holloway was the second leading scorer for the Bulldogs with 13 points, six rebounds, a block and a steal.
- Ashley also scored in double-digits with 12 leading Bryant on the glass with nine rebounds and two steals.
- Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) and Palmer each tallied six assists.
- Bryant and Saint Francis U were even tonight for rebounds each grabbing 39.
- Connors tied the all-time record for most three-pointers in a game with eight while also compiling her first ever 20+ point game. Tonight also marks a career-high in scoring for the senior.
- Palmer is now just one assist away from breaking 500. Only six players have ever reached the milestone in NEC's history.
- Zegarowski's six assists is a career-best.
- As a team, the Bulldogs also tallied a season-high 10 three's.
- Bryant now falls to 9-10 against Saint Francis U all-time and 2-7 in Loretto.
Bryant returns to the Chace Athletic Center this Saturday, February 16 at 3 p.m. to meet with Sacred Heart for a special NEC Love and Basketball theme night.