BROOKLYN HEIGHTS, N.Y. – Junior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) posted her 17th double-double of the season today as the Bryant University women's basketball team fell to St. Francis Brooklyn, 101-77 on Saturday.
Four Bulldogs tallied double-figures including Holloway who led with 19 points, 10 rebounds. Sophomore Hannah Scanlan (Rumson, N.J.) posted 12 points, Naomi Ashley (Hamilton, Ont.) added 11 and Brooke Bjelko (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) chipped in 10.
St. Francis Brooklyn 101, Bryant 77
Records: Bryant, 9-18 (7-9) | St. Francis Brooklyn, 16-12 (10-6)
Location: Pope Physical Education Center
- In the second half, St. Francis Brooklyn went on two 11-point runs growing to a 23-point lead in the third quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At the 6:21 mark in first quarter, St. Francis Brooklyn started pulling away when Jade Johnson knocked down a three to start an 8-2 run giving the Terriers an eight-point lead, 19-11.
- Junior Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) hustled down the court to deny the Terriers a fast break layup giving Bryant the momentum to come back and tie the game at 25 apiece.
- Sophomore Bjelko quickly notched four points to start the second half, putting Bryant within one, 30-29.
- The Terriers responded with an 11-2 run before the media time to pull away. At the end of the half, St. Francis Brooklyn held a 12-point advantage over the Bulldogs, 51-39.
- Bryant entered the second half by going on a 6-2 run with layups from Scanlan, Ashley and Holloway.
- The Bulldogs cut the double-digit deficit by getting as close as five before the media timeout in the third quarter, but the Terriers left Bryant scoreless for the next two minutes taking off on another 11-0 run with six points coming from the charity stripe.
- To open the fourth quarter, the two teams went back and forth scoring on every possession as the Terriers hit three back-to-back three's growing to a 23-point cushion, 85-62, with 7:32 to go in the game.
- With 1:38 to go, the Bulldogs went on their final run scoring seven straight points led by Stephanie Lesko (Rumson, N.J.) with a three-pointer.
- Holloway led with 19 points, 10 rebounds shooting seven-of-13 from the field.
- Scanlan was the team's second leading scorer with 12 points, four rebounds, and three assists.
- Ashley added 11 points, three rebounds, four assists, and a pair of steals.
- Bjelko chipped in 10 points shooting five-of-six from the field. Bjelko also grabbed six rebounds and dished out one assist.
- Zegarowski led with three steals adding five points and three assists.
- The Bulldogs shot 32-of-77 from the field posting a 41.6 field goal percentage.
- St. Francis Brooklyn shot 36-of-41 from the free throw line.
- Both teams were even on the board grabbing 39 apiece.
- Holloway's double-double is her 17th of the season and 36th of her career.
- Kandis Taylor's (Sunrise, Fla.) four points ties her career-best against Northeast Conference opponents.
- Bjelko's 10-point performance is her second in a row.
- Zegarowski broke her season-high with three steals.
- Bryant made and attempted a season-high 33-for-77 from the field.
Bryant remains in Brooklyn meeting with LIU Brooklyn on Monday at 7 p.m.