BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Head coach Mary Burke accomplished her 400th career victory in tonight's win over LIU Brooklyn, 69-54.
Three Bulldogs tallied double-figure scoring including junior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) who tied her career-high of 29 points. Hannah Scanlan (Rumson, N.J.) added 15 points while Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) chipped in 12.
Bryant 69, LIU Brooklyn 54
Records: Bryant 10-19 (8-9), LIU Brooklyn 4-24 (3-14)
Location: Steinberg Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
COACH BURKE'S COMMENTS
"I'm just really happy for the players and thought it was a great team win today," said head coach Mary Burke. "We did all the things necessary to get it done. We had great defensive moments and had the ability to score. I was really proud of the effort, and to get that last road win was really important."
- Bryant held LIU Brooklyn to just two points in the first quarter, outscoring the Blackbirds, 19-2, and holding them to a seven percent field goal percentage.
- The Blackbirds started chipping away at the deficit by going on an 8-0 run to start the second quarter.
- LIU would get as close as four in the beginning of the fourth quarter before the Bulldogs pulled away on an 11-2 run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant went on an 8-0 run to start the game before LIU made their lone basket of the quarter at the 4:14 mark when Ryan Weise swiped the ball from Bryant and pushed it up court to Brandy Thomas for a fast break layup.
- The Bulldogs responded by going on another run scoring 11 straight, holding LIU to a seven percent field goal percentage.
- The Blackbirds started the second quarter with a lot of energy scoring the first eight points to cut the deficit to nine points, 19-10.
- Holloway and Scanlan were the only bulldogs to make a field goal in the second quarter as LIU made it a five-point game by halftime, 27-22.
- LIU was as close as four in the third quarter after Brandy Thomas hit a pair at the foul line, 31-27.
- The Bulldogs immediately pulled away in the next possession when Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) found Holloway in the paint fueling an 11-2 run before the end of the quarter. Bryant entered the fourth quarter with a 15-point advantage, 49-34.
- Bryant was sent to the free throw line 14 times in the final quarter alone, sinking 11 before finishing the game with the win, 69-54.
- Holloway led with 29 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double with nine.
- Scanlan was the second leading scorer tonight with 15 points, 7 rebounds and two blocks.
- Zegarowski added 12 points shooting two-of-five from behind the arc knocking down the only pair of threes for the Black and Gold. The junior also tallied three assists and two steals.
- Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) led with a game-high seven assists.
- Bryant outrebounded LIU Brooklyn, 39-36.
- Holloway's 29 points ties her career-high and marks the most points scored by a Bulldog this season. The last time Holloway posted 29 points last season against Fairleigh Dickinson.
- LaFrance Boyce pulled down a career-high of eight rebounds.
- Mary Burke achieved her 400th career victory, continuing as the most winningest coach for Bryant women's basketball.
Bryant closes out the season at home on Thursday March, 7 at 7 p.m. against Wagner for senior night.