LORETTO, PA. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Saint Francis U in the Northeast Conference quarterfinal, 91-78, to conclude the 2018-19 season.
Saint Francis U 91, Bryant 78
Location: DeGol Arena (Loretto, Pa.)
Records: Bryant 11-19 (9-10), Saint Francis U 15-16 (12-7)
COACH BURKE'S COMMENTS
"I just want to start by congratulating Saint Francis, played a great game, really came out of the gate firing and really shot the ball well, which was an area where I thought we really struggled. I knew that one of our goals coming into the game was offensive balance, whether that be making outside shots or getting the ball into the paint, but we struggled with balance tonight. I love our fight and the way we competed all game, but it just wasn't our night and we struggled with our opportunities to score. That was a big factor in the game."
- The Red Flash started pulling away in the first quarter by going on an 8-0 run to take the initial lead. Saint Francis U did not relinquish its lead for the entirity of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two and a half minutes into the game, Sam Sabino hit back-to-back field goals, including the first three of game to help the Red Flash to an 8-0 run, 11-4.
- Bryant pulled within eight before the end of the quarter after Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) found Hannah Scanlan (Rumson, N.J.) in the paint, but the 6'4 Courtney Zezza responded with a three to end the first quarter, 24-13.
- LaFrance Boyce led the Bulldogs to its most significant run in the first half with a driving layup followed by a three-pointer to start a 7-0 run capped off by a pull-up jumper from Zegarowski.
- Jess Kovatch answered to the run by creating a four-point play after being fouled while sinking a three. The four-point play brought the momentum back to the Red Flash before ending the half, 50-37.
- The Bulldogs opened the second half scoring the first five points led by Naomi Ashley (Hamilton, Ont.) notching three points from the charity stripe to bring Bryant within eight, 50-42.
- Saint Francis U grew to its biggest lead of 20 points to end the third quarter after knocking down three straight free throws to complete a 9-0 run.
- Bryant shot 18-of-22 at the foul line in the fourth quarter alone making just three field goals.
- The Bulldogs went on a 12-2 run to start the fourth quarter with half of the points coming from the free throw line.
- As a team, Bryant held the NEC Player of the Year to just five points in the fourth quarter before the end of the game, 91-78.
- Holloway led with 27 points, 16 rebounds and one block.
- LaFrance Boyce added 13 points, five rebounds and two steals.
- Ashley also tallied double-figures, ending her career with 10 points, six rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Brooke Bjelko (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) chipped in nine points, three rebounds.
- Zegarowski shot three-of-seven from the field contributing eight points.
- Kierra Palmer (Aberdeen, Md.) led with six assists.
- Bryant outrebounded the Red Flash, 46-30, with 20 offensive rebounds.
- The Bulldogs shot 28-for-37 from the foul line.
- Holloway ended her junior season second amongst Bryant's Division I scoring leaders with 1,329 points, just 66 points behind Breanna Rucker for the top spot.
- Bryant made and attempted the most free throws in a game all season.