SMITHFIELD, R.I. – For the third consecutive game and fourth in her last five appearances, sophomore Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) scored five goals, but the Bryant University women's lacrosse team fell to Delaware on Sunday afternoon.
Delaware 18, Bryant 11
Records: Delaware (4-5), Bryant (4-4)
Location: Bryant Track and Turf Complex – Smithfield, R.I.
COACH BATCHELLER'S COMMENTS
"Today we had some great individual plays on offense and some good saves and sets defensively, but struggled to put together a full 60-minute performance. In games like this, we need to have repeated success on both sides of the field to gain the momentum. I do not think this was our best effort today on either side of the ball, but we will regroup this week and get ready to take on our last non-conference opponent, Siena."
After Bryant and Delaware split the first eight goals of the game evenly, Delaware rattled off a 7-1 run in 5:14 to take a six-goal advantage late in the first half. The Blue Hens were able to keep their distance, not allowing Bryant to get closer than three the rest of the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Delaware scored the first two goals of the game 10 seconds apart, redshirt-sophomore Melissa Wamp (Florham Park, N.J.) and senior Catlin Brown (San Diego, Calif.) scored back-to-back to tie the game at two.
- The Blue Hens responded with two in a row, but again Bryant was able to score twice in a 57-second span with junior Jess DeMeo (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) and sophomore Leah Nocera (Westwood, Mass.) beating Delaware's goalie.
- On Delaware's 7-1 run that put them up six, Becky Gohsler scored three and Sarah Bedard added a pair to help Delaware seize control.
- Bryant got as close as three, scoring five of the game's next seven goals with Breglia scoring all five for the Black and Gold.
- After that, Gohsler scored two in a Delaware 5-0 run to put the game away.
- Breglia tallied a game-high six points on the afternoon.
- DeMeo added three points for Bryant.
- Bryant controlled 10 of 13 draws in the second half but lost the overall battle at the circle 18-14.
- Junior Meredith James (Essex Falls, N.J.) led Bryant in that department with seven controls. Junior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) added four.
- Seniors Samantha Santeramo (Wantagh, N.Y.) and Meaghan Brennan (Glen Head, N.Y.) led the Bulldogs with three ground balls each.
- Santeramo made 11 saves for Bryant.
- Breglia joins DeMeo as the only players in Bryant's Division I history to score five goals in three consecutive games. DeMeo did it on April 28, 30 and May 5 of last season.
- Senior Kristie VosWinkel (Newtown, Conn.) matched her career-high with two ground balls on the afternoon.
- Junior Jasmine Perkins (West Babylon, N.Y.) also tied a career-high, causing two turnovers.
- James is now averaging 8.7 draw controls a game in her last three games.
- In her eighth start of the season, Santeramo recorded her fifth double-digit save performance of the season, matching her total in 18 starts from a season ago.
Bryant ends its non-conference Schedule on Saturday, when they travel to Albany to take on Siena at 4:00 p.m.