QUEENSBURY, N.Y. – Early goals from junior Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) and freshman Emily Diaz (Selden, N.Y.) helped the Bryant University women's lacrosse team off to a solid start, but Albany responded with a 5-0 run and led the rest of the way in a 21-11 victory over the Bulldogs Tuesday at the Adirondack Sports Center.
Senior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) collected a career-high 10 draw controls in the contest, good for second in a single game in Bryant's Division I era.
Albany 21, Bryant 11
Records: Bryant (0-2), Albany (3-0)
Location: Adirondack Sports Center (Queensbury, N.Y.)
COACH ROCHE'S COMMENTS
"Albany is a strong team that outplayed us today. We made mistakes and they capitalized when we did. We will look closely at this game and work hard to improve, move forward and be ready for our next opponent."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Breglia scored 1:50 into the contest and Diaz followed 44 seconds later to five the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead.
- Albany responded with the next five goals before senior Meredith James (Essex Fells, N.J.) and freshman Alexa Weber (South Windsor, Conn.) pulled Bryant back within one at 5-4 with 14:08 remaining in the first half.
- The Great Danes would score the next four before Breglia found DeMeo with 3:42 to play in the half to cut the Albany lead to 9-5.
- Albany held an 11-5 advantage at the half and held Bryant off the board after the break until the first career goal from sophomore Devon Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) with 13:01 to play in the second half gave the Bulldogs their sixth goal of the afternoon.
- After an Albany goal, Bryant scored four straight from the sticks of sophomore Abbi England (Longford Mills, Ontario), junior Maggie Pressler (Smithfield, R.I.), Britton and Weber to pull within 19-10.
- DeMeo scored the final Bryant goal with 1:01 to play, assisted by Devon Bolen.
- Breglia recorded a team-high three points on the day with a goal and two assists.
- DeMeo and Weber scored two goals each, with Weber's two scores the first of her career. Weber added three draw controls.
- Sophomore Natalie Langella (Northport, N.Y.) recorded two assists.
- Devon Bolen added an assist and four draw controls to her first career goal.
- Albany outshot Bryant, 41-22.
- Sophomores Devon Bolen and Caitlin Bolen played Tuesday in their hometown of Queensbury, New York, as the game was relocated from the Albany campus due to winter weather.
- Britton moved within 40 draw controls of her sister Nicole for the all-time program record. Her 10 draw controls surpassed her previous career-best of eight last season against Siena.
- Sophomore Giana Kapoosuzian (Merrick, N.Y.) made her collegiate debut with the start in goal.
- Bryant drops to 1-3 all-time against Albany.
- The Bulldogs fall to 6-8 all-time against America East competition.
Bryant will have eight days before its next game, when the Bulldogs take the short trip to Brown Wednesday, March 6. The 6 p.m. game can be seen on ESPN+.
Season tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.