JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Bryant University women's lacrosse team was defeated by Jacksonville, 16-7, Thursday afternoon to open the Bulldogs' two-game Spring Break trip to Florida.
Sophomore Natalie Langella (Northport, N.Y.) scored two goals for Bryant in her third straight multi-goal performance, while senior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) collected nine draw controls to go along with a goal and an assist.
Jacksonville 16, Bryant 7
Records: Bryant (2-3), Jacksonville (3-2)
Location: D.B. Milne Field (Jacksonville, Fla.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jacksonville took a 2-0 lead before sophomore Devon Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) got Bryant on the board with 17:21 remaining in the first half.
- The Dolphins would score the next three, capitalizing on a pair of Bulldog yellow cards, to go ahead 5-1.
- Freshman Emily Diaz (Selden, N.Y.) cut into the Jacksonville lead with a goal with 10:03 to go in the half, pulling within 5-2.
- The Dolphins scored the next three goals before Britton scored with 1:26 left before halftime. Jacksonville would add another with 16 seconds left into the half to go into the break with a 9-3 lead.
- Jacksonville recorded the first three goals of the second half, prompting a Bulldog timeout trailing 12-3 with 22:19 to play. The Dolphins would add three more to take a 15-3 lead.
- Langella broke up the Jacksonville run with a pair of goals, cutting the deficit to 15-5 with 9:07 to play.
- Sophomore Caitlin Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) scored her first of the year and then assisted on a goal from freshman Alexa Weber (South Windsor, Conn.), leading to a Dolphin timeout in a 15-7 game with 5:41 remaining. The Dolphins would add a goal in the final minute for the 16-7 margin.
- Junior Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) assisted on the Bolen and Britton goals, while Caitlin Bolen, junior Maggie Pressler (Smithfield, R.I.) and Britton also recorded assists.
- Devon Bolen added three ground balls, three caused turnovers and two draw controls.
- Senior Jasmine Perkins (West Babylon, N.Y.) recorded three caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Giana Kapoosuzian (Merrick, N.Y.) made a career-high 17 saves.
- Bryant was outshot, 45-20.
- The Dolphins held a 30-17 advantage in ground balls.
- The Bulldogs recorded 13 draw controls to the Dolphins' 12.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against Jacksonville and 2-1 against Atlantic Sun competition.
- Britton moved within 18 draw controls of matching her sister Nicole for Bryant's career mark of 171.
- Britton's nine draw controls rank tied for third in a single game in Bryant's Division I era, matching her performance March 6 at Brown. The senior midfielder has recorded three of the top four single-game performances in the Bulldogs' D1 history over the last four games.
Bryant faces Stetson Sunday afternoon to close out the Bulldogs' Spring Break trip. Opening draw in DeLand, Florida, is slated for noon.
Season tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.