STORRS, Conn. – Senior Jess DeMeo (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) scored four goals and broke Bryant's Division I career points record, but a solid performance by the UConn defense helped the Huskies to a 15-8 win over the Bryant University women's lacrosse team Tuesday night.
DeMeo passed Lauren Descalzo for the program D1 points mark, moving to 199 for her career. Senior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) passed her sister Nicole for the Bulldogs' all-time draw controls record with the 172nd of her collegiate career.
UConn 15, Bryant 8
Records: Bryant (4-4), UConn (2-8)
Location: George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex (Storrs, Conn.)
COACH ROCHE'S COMMENTS
"UConn outplayed us in the midfield and won the 50-50 battle. They exposed gaps in our game and we intend to work hard to move forward from this loss and fill them. We are looking towards and preparing for Fresno State."
- Bryant cut the UConn lead to 5-3 on a pair of DeMeo goals midway through the first half, but the Huskies would hold the Bulldogs off the board for the next 32 minutes to build a 10-3 advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A Britton goal from junior Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) got Bryant on the board first, but UConn answered with the next five to go ahead 5-1 with 19:58 remaining in the first half.
- DeMeo scored a pair of goals to get Bryant within two at 5-3 with 16:56 to play in the half.
- UConn would score the final two goals of the first half and first three out of the break to lead 10-3 with 15:58 to go in the contest.
- Goals from sophomore Natalie Langella (Northport, N.Y.) and DeMeo cut the UConn advantage to 10-5 with 13:02 remaining.
- DeMeo added her fourth of the night to bring Bryant within 11-6, but UConn would answer with the next four goals before Langella's second of the contest with 3:56 made the score 15-7.
- Freshman Alexa Weber (South Windsor, Conn.) scored a free-position goal with 29 seconds remaining for the final 15-8 margin.
- DeMeo scored four goals to give her 24 for the season.
- Langella added two goals, while Britton and Weber each chipped in both a goal and an assist.
- Breglia tallied two assists, bringing her to 17 for the year.
- Sophomore Devon Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) recorded five draw controls, while senior Meredith James (Essex Fells, N.J.) added four.
- Junior Kelly Jacobsen (Northport, N.Y.) collected two caused turnovers.
- Bryant was outshot, 31-21.
- Draw controls were even at 12 for each team.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against UConn.
- DeMeo enters Friday's game vs. Fresno State needing two goals to match Descalzo's program career goals mark of 177.
Bryant closes out non-conference play Friday at 4 p.m. when the Black & Gold host Fresno State at Beirne Stadium. Tickets are available by clicking HERE. The game can be seen on NEC Front Row.
Season tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.