SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Caitlin Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) scored a career-high three goals and junior Maggie Pressler (Smithfield, R.I.) added a career-best four assists, but Wagner jumped out to an early lead and held off the Bryant University women's lacrosse team, 15-8, Thursday night at Beirne Stadium.
Wagner 15, Bryant 8
Records: Bryant (7-6, 3-1 NEC), Wagner (10-3, 3-1 NEC)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH ROCHE'S COMMENTS
"We ran into a tough team tonight. I give full credit to Wagner – they outplayed us. We have to play better to win this type of game."
- Bryant cut the deficit to four early in the second half on the first goal of the year from junior Katie Clark (New Fairfield, Conn.), but Wagner would score the next three and lead by at least four the rest of the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wagner scored the first four goals of the contest before tallies from junior Caitlin Breglia (Long Beach, N.Y.) and senior Jess DeMeo (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) cut into the Seahawk advantage at 4-2 with 16:06 to play in the half.
- Caitlin Bolen added a goal with 5:17 remaining before halftime to bring the Bulldogs within 6-3, but the Seahawks scored the final two goals of the half.
- Clark scored 52 seconds into the second half to trim the deficit to 8-4, but the Seahawks answered with the next three.
- Goals from senior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.), Caitlin Bolen and sophomore Abbi England (Longford Mills, Ontario) brought Bryant within 11-7 with 7:53 to go.
- Wagner scored the next two before Caitlin Bolen's third goal of the night with 3:24 remaining. The Seahawks would add two empty-net goals in the final 43 seconds.
- Caitlin Bolen scored three goals to best four career two-goal performances.
- Pressler's four assists give her 23 for the season.
- Clark scored for the first time since April 21, 2017, at Saint Francis U, and added two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior Jasmine Perkins (West Babylon, N.Y.) collected three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior Meredith James (Essex Fells, N.J.) grabbed a team-high six draw controls. The Bulldogs held a 13-12 advantage in the draw circle.
- Sophomore Giana Kapoosuzian (Merrick, N.Y.) made 14 saves.
- Wagner outshot Bryant, 37-30.
- Bryant recorded an assist on six of seven goals not scored via a free-position attempt.
- Bryant drops to 10-6 all-time against Wagner. The defeat Thursday was the first in a regular-season meeting since 2012.
- The Bulldogs are 4-2 at Beirne Stadium this season.
- Bryant is 35-4 (.897) in regular-season NEC games since 2014.
- The loss snapped a streak of 10 straight regular-season home NEC victories.
Bryant hosts Mount St. Mary's Saturday at 3 p.m. for Senior Day. Tickets are available by clicking HERE.