EMMITSBURG, Md. – Mount St. Mary's used a seven-goal first-half run to give the Mountaineers a cushion the rest of the way to defeat the Bryant University women's lacrosse team, 18-4, in the NEC Semifinals Thursday at Waldron Family Stadium.
Mount St. Mary's 18, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (8-9), Mount St. Mary's (16-2)
Location: Waldron Family Stadium (Emmitsburg, Md.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Emily Diaz (Selden, N.Y.) scored the first goal of the contest 5:33 in to put Bryant ahead 1-0.
- The Mountaineers scored the next seven goals, including four in a span of 52 seconds, to take a 7-1 lead with 18:34 to play in the half.
- Sophomore Caitlin Bolen (Queensbury, N.Y.) bounced in a free-position goal with 14:32 to go in the half to break up the Mountaineer run.
- Mount St. Mary's took a 9-2 lead into the half.
- Diaz scored the first goal of the second half on a feed from senior Jess DeMeo (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) with 27:54 remaining, but the Mountaineers responded with the next four in a span of 1:58 to run their lead to 10 with 25:56 to play.
- A goal from sophomore Natalie Langella (Northport, N.Y.) was answered by the final five of the game from the Mountaineers for the 18-4 margin.
- Diaz scored two goals, matching a career-high, and recorded a career-high four draw controls.
- Caitlin Bolen scored for the 10th consecutive game to close out her sophomore campaign.
- Seniors Emma Ahlrichs (Zionsville, Ind.) and Jasmine Perkins (West Babylon, N.Y.) each recorded a ground ball and a caused turnover in their final collegiate games.
- Senior Lauren Britton (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) collected two draw controls and finishes her Bryant career as the program's leader in career (235) and single-season (117) draws.
- Senior Jess DeMeo (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) tallied one assist and finishes her collegiate career as Bryant's career recordholder in goals (203) and D1 leader in career points (232).
- Senior Meredith James (Essex Fells, N.J.) completes her time in Black & Gold with 171 career draw controls, tied for second in program history.
- Bryant falls to 6-6 all-time against Mount St. Mary's with the Mountaineers having taken three of the last four meetings.
- Thursday's loss snaps a six-year streak of playing in the NEC title game.