SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Despite good second half pressure, the Bryant University women's soccer team dropped their 2018 season opener to Quinnipiac on Monday afternoon.
Quinnipiac 3, Bryant 0
Records: Quinnipiac 1-1-0, Bryant 0-1-0
Location: Bulldog Soccer Field
Coach Biggs' Comments
"I thought we worked very hard and played well for stretches of today's game. We'll keep working on our ability to consistently build attacks that take us well into our opponent's half as we look to create more chances and put teams under more constant pressure to defend close to their own goal."
- After a scoreless first 16 minutes, Quinnipiac scored two in a span of 4:38 to put distance between them and the Bulldogs. Al Pelletier finished an Ally Grunstein cross in the 17th minute to open the scoring, then Lauren Triglione dribbled between a pair of Bryant defenders and finished bottom corner to double the lead.
- 17th minute – Quinnipiac 1, Bryant 0 - Sophomore Kylie Ratelle (Chicopee, Mass.) made a great individual sliding effort to block the initial Grunstein cross, but she was not able to get to the second and Pelletier finished on an open net with Dalton guarding the post.
- 21st minute – Quinnipiac 2, Bryant 0 – A long ball forward was touched down by Madison Borowiec, who was able to feed a streaking Triglione running by her. Triglione took a couple touches and fired into the bottom right of the net, away from the outstretched Dalton.
- 63rd minute – Quinnipiac 3, Bryant 0 – A well-worked Bobcat counter gave Quinnipiac their third, as Trigione played wide to Gretchen Kron who beat Dalton low and right.
- Sophomore Katie Cronin (Feeding Hills, Mass.) led the Bulldogs with three shots and one on target.
- Ratelle, along with senior Rachel Benz (Stamford, Conn.) and junior Caitlyn Linden (Newtown, Conn.), added shots on frame for the Bulldogs.
- Bryant outshot the Bobcats 6-3 in the second half, but fell 14-9 on the overall margin.
- Sophomore Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) made two second-half saves.
The second of four in a row at home to start the season comes on Thursday when the Bulldogs host in-state rival Rhode Island at 4 p.m. at the Bulldog Soccer Field.