SMITHFIELD, R.I. – After 81 minutes of play, it looked like the Bryant University women's soccer team was going to have hard luck in their match with Fairfield, as they had created lots of chances but none found the net. Not four minutes later, they found themselves ahead as senior Cayla D'Amico (Grafton, Mass.) tied it, then junior Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) won it to give the Bulldogs their second win in as many games.
Bryant 2, Fairfield 1
Records: Bryant 2-1-0, Fairfield 3-2-0
Location: Bulldog Soccer Field
Coach Biggs' Comments
"It was another fantastic team effort from our players today. They did a great job fighting back from 1-0 down for the second time in a week. We passed more effectively in the second half, and our character together with more aggressive attacking helped to turn the game in our favor as we built momentum. Becca [Michaud]'s free kick off the bar help to show our intent and the team pushed from there to continue creating the chances we needed to score the two late goals."
Just 2:53 after D'Amico tied it, senior Rachel Benz (Stamford, Conn.) played a ball to the top of the box, where classmate Alex Ralph (Peterborough, Ontario) was waiting. She flicked it to the end line for D'Amico, who played a low cross to Manna who fired high into the open net, securing all three points.
- 34th minute – Fairfield 1, Bryant 0 – Alex Madden was able to take advantage of a Bulldogs turnover at the back, as she handled a pass into the box and fired past sophomore Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.), who was able to get a touch but not enough of the ball.
- 82nd minute – Bryant 1, Fairfield 1 – Sophomore Becca Michaud (Westport, Mass.) played a corner into the box that was deflected further by a Fairfield defender, but right to the feet of D'Amico. She took a touch and fired into the side netting of the far post to equalize.
- 85th minute – Bryant 2, Fairfield 1 – Bryant's furious rally concluded with Manna's finish. The motion was started by sophomore Kylie Ratelle (Chicopee, Mass.) winning a ball in the air, right to the feel of classmate Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) who was able to control and feed Benz. It went on from there and ended up with Bryant taking the victory.
- Bryant has pulled ahead in the all-time series 3-2 with Fairfield and has now won three in a row against the Stags.
- D'Amico scored for the second consecutive contest and now has five points in her last two games.
- Manna added her first tally of the season and the seventh of her career. She finished the day with a season-high three shots.
- Ralph's assist is her first point since her freshman year when she scored the winning goal against Central Connecticut.
- Bryant finished the day with a 17-16 edge in shots, outshooting the Stags 9-3 in the second half.
- Ratelle finished the day alongside Manna with three shots. D'Amico led all Bulldogs with five.
- Bryant is now unbeaten in 10 of their last 12 home games, dating back to the beginning of last season.
The Bulldogs wrap up their season-opening four-game homestand on Sunday afternoon when they host Maine for a 1 p.m. kickoff at the Bulldog Soccer Field.