SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Thanks to a 12th-minute goal from sophomore Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) and a stout defensive performance, the Bryant University women's soccer team closed out their non-conference schedule with a victory over Vermont Sunday.
Bryant 1, Vermont 0
Records: Bryant 4-4-0, Vermont 1-5-2
Location: Virtue Field | Burlington, Vt.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"I thought we started very well today. We created some good chances from our passing and possession and really earned our goal. Our passing was not as sharp in the second half, but we were focused and discipline in defense to be able to keep the shutout."
Spitaleri tucked home a rebound after senior Cayla D'Amico's (Grafton, Mass.) shot was initially saved to give Bryant an early lead.
- 12th minute – Bryant 1, Vermont 0 – D'Amico ran down the right side of the box and fired a shot on net that popped out to Spitaleri, who sprinted right at the net and it was fired into the top netting.
- Spitaleri's goal was the first of the season for her and third of her career. She became the sixth different Bulldog to record a goal this season.
- D'Amico recorded her second assist of the year on the goal, bringing her team-leading point total to eight.
- Spitaleri led the team with three shots on the day, two of which ended up on frame. Senior Rachel Benz (Stamford, Conn.), junior Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) and sophomore Arin Smalls (Marlborough, Mass.) all finished the day with two shots each.
- Sophomore Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) completed her second clean sheet of the season, recording a pair of saves.
- The Bulldogs outshot Vermont 9-1 in the first half, en route to a 14-7 overall advantage. The 14 shots are the third-most in a game this season for the Bulldogs, and the most since an August 30 match with Fairfield.
- Seven different players wearing Black and Gold put shots on frame.
The Bulldogs open Northeast Conference play on Friday, when they head to Fairfield, Conn. for a matchup with Sacred Heart. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m.