STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Backed by a Katie Cronin (Feeding Hills, Mass.) strike from outside the box, the Bryant University women's soccer team won their third consecutive match on Friday night, taking down Wagner on Staten Island.
Bryant 1, Wagner 0
Records: Bryant 6-4-0 (2-0-0 NEC), Wagner (1-9-0, 0-2-0 NEC)
Location: Hameline Field | Staten Island, N.Y.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"Our team played with great connection in attack and defense tonight. I thought we passed the ball particularly well in the first half and Katie's goal was well constructed and well taken. We also defended well from front to back in both halves. It took a great effort to withstand some significant Wagner pressure in the second half and that commitment earned our team a well-deserved shutout."
Cronin's winner was her second goal of the season and was a curling effort that went over Wagner's keeper and into the top netting to win Bryant their third consecutive match.
41st minute – Bryant 1, Wagner 0 – Sophomore Arin Smalls (Marlborough, Mass.) fed senior Alex Ralph (Peterborough, Ontario) in the middle of the field after forcing a Wagner turnover. Ralph then completed the switch over to Cronin, who was able to take a touch outside the box and fire a high shot that dipped over Katie Viscardi and into the net.
- This was Bryant's third game in which the Bulldogs have scored the first goal. They have now won all three.
- Cronin's goal is the second of her season and the first game-winner of the season. As for the sophomore's career as a Bulldog, it was the fourth time she's found the back of the net and the second time it's decided a game.
- Ralph recorded her second assist of the season, matching her career high with two points on the campaign.
- Sophomore Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) was the only player to put multiple shots on frame. She totaled two of Bryant's five shots on goal.
- Wagner outshot the Bulldogs 13-9 and took four corners to Bryant's one.
- Bryant's three-game winning streak is the longest of the season.
- The Bulldogs have won their first two conference games for the third time in the last four seasons.
- Sophomore Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) made six saves in her third clean sheet of the season.
Bryant returns home for the first time in 27 days on Sunday when they take on Saint Francis U at Noon at the Bulldog Soccer Field.