SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Despite a great second half for the Bryant University women's soccer team, the team fell to league leaders Central Connecticut on Friday evening.
Central Connecticut 2, Bryant 1
Records: Central Connecticut 11-1-2 (5-0-0 NEC), Bryant 6-6-1 (2-2-1 NEC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field | New Britain, Conn.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"As the score shows, we raised our game in the second half. Moving forward, I think we'll play with at least the same level of toughness and determination that we showed in the second half from the start of the game."
After Central was able to force a turnover in their defensive half, Jenna Rae Covello ran down the right flank and sent a low cross to the feet of Tess Atkinson who was able to put it away to give the Blue Devils all they would need.
- 12th minute – Central Connecticut 1, Bryant 0 – Charlotte Maurer gave the Blue Devils the early advantage by getting free in the box and heading Carla Jackson's corner kick into the bottom corner.
- 40th minute – Central Connecticut 2, Bryant 0 – Atkinson was able to get a sliding touch on Rae Covello's cross and put it high over sophomore keeper Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) to double the advantage.
- 57th minute – Central Connecticut 2, Bryant 1 – After Bryant displayed great pressure to begin the half, junior Jaden McCarthy (Smithfield, R.I.) made sure they had something to show for it by putting home a loose ball in front. Sophomore Jamie Irwin (Succasunna, N.J.) drove the ball into the box and it hit the crossbar on the bounce, popping free for McCarthy.
- McCarthy's goal is the first of the season for the junior and the second of her career. Her only other goal was an 87th-minute game-winner in her freshman season.
- The assist for Irwin is the first point of her career, coming in her 29th appearance.
- Dalton made 12 saves on the evening, the fourth-most in Bryant history. Eight of those came in the second half.
- Along with McCarthy, sophomore Caitlyn Linden (Newtown, Conn.) put a shot on frame. She now has three in her previous two matches from the back line.
Bryant returns home for their final two home matches of the season on Friday and Sunday. They host Robert Morris at 3 p.m. on Friday for their Bulldogs vs. Breast Cancer match and then Senior Sunday against LIU Brooklyn will start at 1 p.m.