SMITHFIELD, R.I. – After a dominant performance at both ends, the Bryant University women's soccer team posted its fourth clean sheet of the 2018 campaign in a victory over Robert Morris on Friday afternoon.
Bryant 2, Robert Morris 0
Records: Bryant 7-6-1 (3-2-1 NEC), Robert Morris (4-12-0, 2-4-0 NEC)
Location: Bulldog Soccer Field
Coach Biggs' Comments
"It was great to have the reward of two early goals after making such a confident start to the game. In the second half, we created more good scoring opportunities and the team battled well in defense all the way to the end to earn the shutout."
The Bulldogs established the tone early, attacking relentlessly and it paid off in the fifth minute when senior Cayla D'Amico (Grafton, Mass.) played a left-footed cross into the center for junior Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) to head off the left post and in to give Bryant all they would need.
- 5th minute – Bryant 1, Robert Morris 0 – D'Amico was able to chase a ball down on the end line and beat a defender in order to get space for the cross. Manna was able to rise above the Robert Morris defense and head it off the left post and into the net.
- 10th minute – Bryant 2, Robert Morris 0 – The Bulldogs quickly doubled their lead as a short free kick was cleared by Robert Morris but not completely. Sophomore Kylie Ratelle (Chicopee, Mass.) played it back into the box and senior Rachel Benz (Stamford, Conn.) was able to get back onsides, run in and flick it into the far netting.
- For both Benz and Manna, it was their second goal of the season. Manna's goal is the eighth of her career, while Benz tallied the third in the Black and Gold.
- D'Amico's third assist of the year increases her season total to nine points, while Ratelle's assist is the first point of her 2018 campaign.
- Ratelle became the 14th different player to record a point this season for the Bulldogs.
- Dalton made a pair of saves for her fourth-career clean sheet.
- Bryant finished with a healthy 15-4 advantage in the shot department and a slim 5-4 advantage in corner kicks.
The Bulldogs end their 2018 home schedule on Sunday afternoon with a 1 p.m. kickoff against LIU Brooklyn. Bryant will honor their six-member senior class before the game, with the ceremony beginning at 12:45 p.m. and streaming live on the Bryant Women's Soccer Instagram page.