SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Despite consistent determination from the Bryant University women's soccer team Thursday night it was not enough to hold off the Holy Cross Crusaders, with the Bulldogs ultimately falling 1-0.
Holy Cross 1, Bryant 0
Records: Holy Cross 1-2-1, Bryant 1-3-0
Location: Beirne Stadium
Coach Biggs' Comments
"I was very proud of our team's effort tonight. We passed the ball well, defended very well, and were unlucky to have conceded a goal from a heavy deflection. We'll keep working to play with a bit more confidence in the final 30 yards of the field so we can turn our opportunities into goals."
At the start of the match, a Holy Cross player made an offensive run that was stopped by goalkeeper Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) before she could do any damage. Dalton was persistent between the posts throughout the entire 90 minutes. The Bulldog defense held the Crusaders to seven shots, while Dalton had five saves overall with two coming in the first half and three in the second.
- 48th minute – Holy Cross 1, Bryant 0 – Mariah Brown sent a shot off her right foot that deflected off the leg of a Bryant defender, ultimately rolling past Dalton and giving Holy Cross the goal.
Stats and Notes
- Nine different Bryant players added to the team's balanced attack when the Bulldogs tied their season-best firing 10 shots at goal with four on target.
- The team was consistent throughout the game posting five shots in each period.
- Seniors Alex Spangler (Acton, Mass.) and Marissa Grasso (Shelton, Conn.) both had their first shot of the season verse the Crusaders.
- Senior Alison Guilmette (Coventry, R.I.) lead the Bulldogs with two shots and one on goal.
- Holy Cross held the corner margin, earning six to Bryant's four.
- Dalton made five saves overall, two in the first half and three in the second.
Up Next: Merrimack
The Bulldogs have their second night game at home and first conference game of the season Monday when they host Merrimack with a 7 p.m. kickoff.