SMITHFIELD, R.I. – A vigorous offense and a number of season highs led the Bryant University women's soccer team to a win over new Northeast Conference member, Merrimack, Monday night.
Bryant 3, Merrimack 1
Records: Bryant 1-3 (1-0 NEC), Merrimack 1-4 (0-1 NEC)
Location: Beirne Stadium | Smithfield, R.I.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"We attacked with great intent and purpose in the first half, and earned our goals as a result. Kylie's goal to start the second half was an excellent finish of another fine attacking move and provided a welcome cushion as Merrimack fought hard for the entire game."
Redshirt senior Alison Guilmete (Coventry, R.I.) crossed the ball over from the left side to junior Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) who headed it to senior Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) who then headed it home over the goalkeeper her second goal of the season.
- 22nd minute – Bryant 1, Merrimack 0 – After a cross from Guilmette, The Bulldogs got on the board with a head from Spitaleri to the head of Manna who then knocked it over the Warrior's goalkeeper for the goal.
- 30th minute – Bryant 2, Merrimack 0 – Senior Marissa Grasso (Shelton, Conn.) faked out a Merrimack player to pass the ball to sophomore Lexi Kraemer (Forest Hill, Md.) waiting at the top left of the box, who then knocked it to the back of the net, giving Kraemer her first goal of the season.
- 32nd minute – Merrimack 1, Bryant 2 – Merrimack answered back with an unassisted goal from Hallie Shiers who picked up a loose ball and fired it past Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) between posts.
- 46th minute – Bryant 3, Merrimack 1 – Just one minute into the second half, Spitaleri spun past a Merrimack defender and passed the ball to Manna who quickly handed it off to junior Kylie Ratelle (Chicopee, Mass.). After a quick touch Ratelle buried it back to the upper 90, giving Bryant the 3-1 lead.
- The Bulldogs posted season highs in every offensive category: Three goals, four assists, 22 shots and 12 shots on goal.
- They topped their season-high in shots before the first half was over, finishing the first 45 with 16 shots.
- Ratelle lead the team with a career high six shots and three on frame, including her second goal of the season.
- Manna also scored her second goal of the season and finished with three shots and two shots on goal overall.
- Kraemer scored her first goal of the season and ended the game with two shots, both on target.
- Guilmette, Spitaleri, and juniors Katie Cronin (Feeding Hills, Mass.) and Becca Michaud (Westport, Mass.) also added more than one shot for the Bulldogs.
- Grasso posted her first assist of the season and first since 2017.
- Manna and Guilmette also recorded their first assists of the season, while Spitaleri added her second.
- Dalton registered three saves on the game.
Up Next: Fairfield
Bryant is back on the road Thursday to take on Fairfield at Lessing Field in Fairfield, Conn. at 7 p.m.