SMITHFIELD, R.I. – After 110 minutes of play, the Bryant University women's soccer team finished in a draw with Fairfield. The team fought hard and was able to capitalize on almost all of the chances made, scoring three goals for the second game in a row and finishing Thursday night's game tied 3-3.
Bryant 3, Fairfield 3
Records: Bryant 2-3-1, Fairfield 3-2-2
Location: Lessing Field | Fairfield, Conn.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"It was great to see our attack creating chances and scoring three goals for the second straight game. After struggling through a long stretch at the end of the first half, I was proud of the way our team came out on the front foot in the second half. I also thought we showed some real grit to regain our composure and battle through the two overtimes after losing our lead."
Seven minutes into the second half sophomore Corinne Rey (Norton, Mass.) saw an opportunity from the top of the box. Senior Alex Spangler (Acton, Mass.) found her, allowing Rey to loop the ball up and over the keeper for her first goal of the season.
- 4th minute – Bryant 1, Fairfield 0 – Bryant struck early as Rey made a short pass to junior Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) who took a touch and tapped the ball into the net for her first goal of the season.
- 19th minute – Fairfield 1, Bryant 1 – Fairfield got on board after Stephanie Tsangaris headed the ball into the box and Liz Dumas finished it for the goal.
- 52nd minute – Bryant 2, Fairfield 1 – Rey fired the ball over the Fairfield keeper and into the net putting Bryant up one early in the second half.
- 56th minute – Bryant 3, Fairfield 1 – A corner kick from Rey sent the ball to senior Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) who headed it in to claim her third goal of the season.
- 77th minute – Fairfield 2, Bryant 3 – Tsangaris started the Stags late rally when she was able to get past Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) and trip up Jamie Irwin (Succasunna, N.J.), to knock the ball in and make it a one goal game.
- 83 - Tsangaris passed the ball to Dumas who sent it into the net past Dalton, tying the game.
- This was the first draw in the series between the Bulldogs and the Stags.
- Manna was one-for-one and scored for a second consecutive game, recording six points in the last two contests and eight points overall this season.
- Rey registered her first points of the season, totaling four in the game after two assists and one goal.
- Spitaleri also added her first goal of the season and had a season-high five shots on the day.
- Dalton had four saves total, two coming in the second half and two in overtime.
Up Next: Vermont
The Bulldogs return home to take on Vermont in a Sunday double header with the men's team at the Bulldog Soccer Field. The men play first against Howard at 12 p.m., and the women kickoff at 3 p.m.