SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's soccer team closed out the non-conference schedule the same way as last year, with a victory over Vermont on Sunday afternoon.
Bryant 2, Vermont 1
Records: Bryant 3-3-1, Vermont 2-4-1
Location: Bulldog Soccer Field | Smithfield, R.I.
Coach Biggs' Comments
"I thought our team came through a week with three games very well. Bouncing back to score eight goals over three games after a stretch of tough one goal losses speaks to the character of our team. Today we scored two more very good goals and benefited from another fast start, as well as the depth of our group. After a goal in each half, we fought hard, and managed the game well to grind out the win."
Just seven minutes into the game junior Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) gave Bryant the early lead and scored for the second game in a row when she sent one up and into the back of the net after a cross from senior Caitlyn Linden (Newtown, Conn.).
- 7th minute – Bryant 1, Vermont 0 – Spitaleri sent a shot into the upper left corner off a cross from Linden.
- 66th minute – Bryant 2, Vermont 0 – Smithfield native Jaden McCarthy (Smithfield, R.I.) passed the ball up the field through a number of Vermont players to sophomore Lexi Kraemer (Forest Hill, Md.) who fired one to the upper 90 for her second goal of the season.
- 86th minute – Vermont 1, Bryant 2 – Alex West put Vermont on the board in the last four minutes of the game when Christina Barry sent a free kick to the left side of the box and she headed it into the net.
- Kraemer and Spitaleri both scored their second goals of the season.
- This was the second game in a row that Spitaleri scored, bringing her to six points on the year.
- McCarthy registered her first career assist from Kraemer's goal.
- Linden recorded her first assist of the year and the first since she was a freshman during the 2016 season.
- Sophomore Chae Diani (Milton, Mass.) led the Bulldogs with a career-high five shots, two of which ended up on frame.
- Redshirt-senior Alison Guilmette (Coventry, R.I.) added two more shots for the team.
- Bryant outshot Vermont 7-2 in the first half, and ended the game with a 13-9 overall advantage.
- Junior Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) registered four saves.
- Eight different players posted shots for the Black and Gold.
- Freshman Melissa Reef (Mansfield, Mass.) made her first career appearance for the Bulldogs.
Up Next: Central Connecticut
Bryant opens conference play when they take on the 2018 Northeast Conference undefeated champions, Central Connecticut at home on Friday at 3 p.m.