SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw with Mount St. Mary's on Sunday afternoon at the Bulldog Soccer Field.
Sophomore Eleni Spiratos (Fresh Meadows, N.Y.) scored her first collegiate goal in the 69th minute to tie the game.
Bryant 1, Mount St. Mary's 1
Records: Bryant (5-3-3, 3-0-2 NEC), Mount St. Mary's (2-9-1, 1-3-1 NEC)
Coach Biggs' Comment
"I am proud of our team for fighting back to tie the game. We worked hard, and again passed and defended well. In the end, our stats, 28 shots and 10 corners, are showing us that we need to keep working to stay as confident in the final third as we are our in our own half and midfield. We are creating many opportunities to cross and shoot, but can sometimes use our dribble to take even more of the space we've opened up – crossing from inside the box, rather than outside and shooting from 14-15 yards instead of 20. We are playing well, and I'm sure we will be able to add these pieces like we've been able to add others along the way."
- Trailing in the second half, Spiratos corralled a deflected cross and rifled it into the back of the net to tie the game.
- 21st minute – Mount 1, Bryant 0 – Kalli Bell forced a turnover, dribbled her way towards the goal and then placed a perfect shot into the upper left corner.
- 69th minute – Bryant 1, Mount 1 – The Bulldogs crossed the ball to the top of the box and it was headed away by the Mountaineers. Spiratos stepped up to collect the deflection and slotted her shot into the upper left corner.
- Bryant is now 4-5-2 all-time against the Mount.
- The Black and Gold are now unbeaten in their last seven (4-0-3).
- Bryant outshot Mount, 28-8.
- Spiratos' goal was the first of her collegiate career.
- Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) finished with one save.
- Lexi Kramer (Forest Hill, Md.) finished with three shots on goal.
The Bulldogs have a week off before host Wagner on Oct. 13.