SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's soccer team celebrated Senior Day and 40 Years of Bryant Women's Soccer in style Sunday, earning a decisive 3-0 victory over Sacred Heart.
With the win, the Black and Gold extended their unbeaten streak to 11 games and moved into second place in the league standings.
Bryant 3, Sacred Heart 0
Records: Bryant (8-3-4, 6-0-3), Sacred Heart (9-6-2, 6-2-1 NEC)
Coach Biggs' Comment
"Our team turned in a very complete performance on the day we celebrated our seniors and the 40th anniversary of Bryant Women's Soccer. It was a great effort. We handled the conditions very well and there was terrific balance in our attacking and defending."
- Moments after Bryant missed out on penalty, Alex Spangler (Acton, Mass.) drew another penalty and Corinne Rey (Norton, Mass.) was able to finish into the bottom left corner to give the Bulldogs a lead.
- 22nd minute – Bryant 1, Sacred Heart 0 – Spangler was bulled over in the box, setting up a penalty for Rey. The sophomore deftly slotted her shot into the lower left corner.
- 24th minute – Bryant 2, Sacred Heart 0 – Sacred Heart played the ball back to the keeper and the ball was misplayed. Remi Manna (Pleasantville, N.Y.) quickly took advantage, getting past the goalie and sliding the ball into the gaping net.
- 53rd minute – Bryant 3, Sacred Heart 0 – Amanda Spitaleri (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) was taken down right on the edge of the 18-yard box, giving the Bulldogs a great look at net. Alison Guilmette (Coventry, R.I.) stepped up and rifled home a low shot into the right corner to make it 3-0.
- Bryant improves to 8-5-4 all-time against Sacred Heart.
- Bryant is now unbeaten in its last 11 games (7-0-4), the longest streak in program history.
- Bryant also clinched a spot in the NEC Tournament for the third time in program history. The Bulldogs can finish anywhere from first to third.
- Rey's goal was her second goal of the season.
- Manna potted her team-leading sixth goal of the year. It is also a career high for Manna.
- With her goal, Manna set the DI single-season record for points with 14. The previous record of 13 was set by Kaitlyn Hinck in 2008.
- Hinck was in attendance on Sunday as the Bulldogs celebrated their 40th season of soccer with an onfield presentation at halftime.
- Guilmette notched her first goal of the season on Sunday. She now has five goals and 20 points in her career.
- Meghan Dalton (West Hartford, Conn.) posted two saves to earn her eighth win of the year and her fifth shutout.
- Dalton has allowed just four goals in her last nine games.
- Dalton now has 23 career wins.
The Bulldogs wrap up the regular season next Sunday when they travel to Brookville, N.Y., to take on Long Island University. Kickoff is set for 12:00 p.m.