SMITHFIELD, R.I. – For the second time in as many seasons, the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team defeated Boston College. In this year's edition, the Bulldogs won 156-144.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"We just needed to keep the momentum. We were swimming really well and I think we just needed to pay attention to the details. They swam a steady meet and were able to pull out the win."
- The Bulldogs started fast, winning the first four events of the meet and they were able to keep their distance the rest of the way. Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) was a part of two of those first four wins, winning in the 200 Medley Relay to start the night and winning the women's fourth race, the 100 Yard Backstroke.
How the Swimmers Did
- Scifo won three of her four races on the night, adding in a 200 Yard Backstroke victory to the night's resume.
- Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) won all four of her events, taking home victories in the 50, 100 and 200 Yard Freestyles before capping her night with a win in the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay.
- Alexa Rivera (Boynton Beach, Fla.) started her Bulldog career very well, winning three of her four races on the night. She was a part of the 200 Medley Relay victory and added in first-place finishes in the 200 Yard Breaststroke and the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay.
- Elin Svärd (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) won her final event of the night, the Women's 200 Yard Individual Medley as well as the 200 Yard Medley Relay. She added a second-place finish in the 100 Yard Butterfly.
How the Divers Did
- Kelci Abernethy (Chandler, Ariz.) took home first place in the Women's 3-Meter dive with a final score of 251.02, edging out Boston College's Ellie Uhl by .37 points.
- The two them flipped spots in the 1-Meter, with Abernethy coming in second.
- Carissa Stemen (Naples, Fla.) added a third-place finish in the 3-Meter, compiling a score of 224.25.
Stats and Notables
- Bryant did not need to win the final race of the meet as they did last season, jumping out to a great start and keeping their distance in the victory.
- Scifo won three of her four races for the second straight time against the Eagles.
- Rice has now her last eight races against the Eagles, and 10 of 12 overall.
- Abernethy has now won her last two diving appearances in the 3-Meter against Boston College.
The Bulldogs host Bucknell next Friday night at the Chace Athletic Center Pool. The first race begins at 6:00 p.m.