SMITHFIELD, R.I. – In a crucial NEC meet this weekend, the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team split between Central Connecticut and Wagner. They defeated the defending champion Blue Devils 204-147 but fell to the Seahawks 192-161.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"It was a very exciting two days of swimming. We are proud of them for hanging tough with Wagner and CCSU the whole way. They are very pumped to beat the conference champions!"
- The Bulldogs were able to take two of the top three spots in both diving events. Kelci Abernethy (Chandler, Ariz.) won both the 1-meter and 3-meter with scores of 242.45 and 247.70, respectively.
How the Swimmers Did
- Junior Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) took home a victory in the 50 free, clocking in at 24.19. She also added four second-place finishes.
- Freshman Alexa Rivera (Boynton Beach, Fla.) won three races on the night, leading the pack in the 100 free (53.12) and 200 IM (2:08.97) and was part of the 200 medley relay-winning team (1:49.10).
- Freshman Elin Svard (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) added two wins through the two days, swimming third in the 200 medley relay-winning team and winning the 400 IM (4:35.17).
How the Divers Did
- Abernethy inched by teammate Carissa Stemen (Naples, Fla.) by 0.80 points in the 1-meter dive.
- Stemen earned second for the second consecutive meet in the event.
- Stephanie Jennings (Elmont, N.Y) inished fourth in the event, while finishing third in the 3-meter.
Stats and Notables
- The Bulldogs defeated Central Connecticut in a dual meet for the first time since 2012.
- Rivera won three races for the third time in her first season as a Bulldog.
- Abernethy has won all four times in the 3-meter dive.
Bryant heads up north to Burlington, Vt. for a meet with Vermont on Nov. 12 at Noon.