SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Led by junior Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) and freshman Elin Svärd (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) who each won three individual events, the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team started 2018 with a 185-115 win over Rider on Saturday afternoon in Cambridge, Mass.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"It was a great team effort for the women today. They swam strong and showed great depth in many events. We like where we are at this point in the season. We had many women win multiple events and we remained strong today, even though we came off a very difficult training phase in the season."
- After falling by 0.25 seconds in the first event of the afternoon, the 200 medley relay, the Bulldogs stormed back to take at least the top two spots in each of the next three events (1000 free, 200 free, 100 back) to take a commanding lead and did not look back in the win.
How the Swimmers Did
- Rice won the 50 free (24.40), 100 free (53.30) and 200 free (1:54.73), as well as anchored the winning 400 free relay team (3:39.74).
- Svard's three wins came in the 100 fly (58.31), 200 fly (2:11.66) and 200 IM (2:12.43).
- Senior Mackenzie Kirk (San Jose, Calif.) added two distance wins for the Bulldogs in the 500 free (5:15.35) and 1000 free (10:42.84).
- Sophomore Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) won both of her events, beating out the competition in the 100 back (58.61) and 200 back (2:06.49).
- Freshman Heather Wong (Ramsey, N.J.) won the 100 breast (1:08.33).
- The Bulldogs' 400 free relay team of the junior Rice, senior Valeria Watson (Mexico City, Mexico), senior Nicole Salzano (Elmwood Park, N.J.) and sophomore Domenica Alcala (Cancun, Mexico) finished the night strong with a 3:39.74 time, beating the competition by 1.52 seconds.
How the Divers Did
- Junior Ann Burdick (Glenmont, N.Y.) was the top diver for the Bulldogs, placing third in the 1 meter (209.15) and fourth in the 3 meter (215.10).
- Junior Stephanie Jennings (Elmont, N.Y.) added a Top 3 finish in the 3-meter dive (228.75).
Stats and Notables
- Jennings' 3-meter score is a new season high.
- Rice's three individual wins give her a team-high 19 on the season.
- Scifo is now up to 20 Top 3 finishes this season after grabbing three in the meet.
- Four different Bulldogs took home multiple first-place finishes.
Bryant heads to Poughkeepsie to take on Marist at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.