POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Led by another perfect outing by junior Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) and freshman Elin Svärd (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden), the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team outlasted Marist 175-125 on Saturday afternoon.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"We are proud of our women as they had another great team effort. We had many season-best times and great energy to help us win! I loved our 200 medley relay to start the meet off. It's now time to look ahead to URI and hope we have another solid team effort."
The Bulldogs were off and running as they won each of the first four events, with the team taking the 200 medley relay and then claiming top spots in the 1000 free, 200 free and 100 back.
How the Swimmers Did
- Rice's four wins came in the 50 free (24.67), 100 free (54.76), 200 free (1:55.62) and anchoring the 200 medley relay in 24.22.
- Svard's victories were in the 100 fly (58.08), 200 fly (2:12.70), 200 IM (2:08.76) and swimming the third leg of the 200 medley relay in 25.32.
- Sophomore Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) added a pair of individual victories in the 100 back (58.79) and 200 back (2:09.07). She also swam on the two winning relay teams.
- Senior Mackenzie Kirk (San Diego, Calif.) won the 1000 free (10:40.31).
- Sophomore Kayleigh Canavan (Cumberland, R.I.) joined Rice, Svard and Scifo on the winning 200 medley relay team.
- Sophomore Domenica Alcala (Cancun, Mexico), senior Nicole Salzano (Elmwood Park, N.J.) and senior Valeria Watson (Mexico City, Mexico) were on the winning 400 free relay team, along with Scifo.
How the Divers Did
- Junior Ann Burdick (Glenmont, N.Y.) finished second in the 3-meter for the Bulldogs (243.15).
- Classmate Stephanie Jennings (Elmont, N.Y.) earned the Bulldogs a fourth-place finish in the 1-meter event.
Stats and Notables
- Rice has now won her last eight events in dual meets.
- The Bulldogs have now matched their five-win total from a season ago, with two chances to break it in the coming week.
- Burdick's second-place finish is her highest since her return to competition.
The Bulldogs face in-state rival Rhode Island on Wednesday night in Kingston. The meet is scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. start.