SMITHFIELD, R.I. – In a total team effort that included four personal-best and nine season-best performances, the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team took down in-state rival Rhode Island 183-115 in Kingston, R.I. on Wednesday night.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"It was such a great night for us. I could not be more proud of the divers and swimmers. We knew it would be a tough one and they stepped up and raced every yard and dive. I think this will put us into a great mindset for taper time. It really is the year of the bulldog."
- The Bulldogs started fast, with the 200 medley relay team claiming 11 points to start the night and then Bryant swimmers taking the top two places in each of the next two events to take a 39-16 advantage after just three swims.
How the Swimmers Did
- Junior Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) maintained her perfect record in 2018, winning four more events to extend her race-winning streak to 12.
- Senior Mackenzie Kirk (San Diego, Calif.) added a pair of wins in the 500 free (5:11.81) and 1000 free (10:38.08).
- Sophomore Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) added a pair of wins in the 200 medley relay and 200 back (2:05.82), as did freshman Elin Svärd (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) in the 200 medley relay and 200 IM (2:11.39).
- Sophomore Eliza Brant (Hauppauge, N.Y.) freshman Heather Wong (Ramsey, N.J.) and sophomore Kayleigh Canavan (Cumberland, R.I.) all swam season-best times in the 200 breast.
How the Divers Did
- The Bulldogs claimed the top two spots in both diving events on the night, while also grabbing third in the 1-meter dive.
- Junior Stephanie Jennings (Elmont, N.Y.) led the way, winning the 1-meter with a personal-best score of 253.43 and coming in second in the 3-meter with a season-best score of 244.04.
- Freshman Gabrielle Ritzer (Sutton, Mass.) added two personal best scores on the night, diving to the tune of a 239.38 score in the 1-meter and 245.47 in the 3-meter. The latter score won her the event.
Stats and Notables
- Canavan (1:07.37) and Brant (1:08.06) also added season-best times in the 100 breast.
- Senior Nicole Salzano (Elmwood Park, N.J.) swam a season-best time in the 100 free (55.25) and a new personal-best time of 10:42.52 in the 1000 free, beating her previous time by 6.03 seconds.
- Sophomore Alyssa DiFiore (Wethersfield, Conn.) swam a season-best 10:54.01 in the 1000 free.
- Junior Ann Burdick (Glenmont, N.Y.) dove season bests in the 1-meter (243.67) and 3-meter (229.57).
- The Bulldogs avenged their second-place finish to the Rams in the Harold Anderson Invite held earlier in the season.
- Bryant defeated Rhode Island for the first time in a dual meet since 2012, when they defeated the Rams 144-118 at the Chace Athletic Center Pool.
The Bulldogs wrap up their last meet before conference championships with a Senior Day bout with Holy Cross at 1:00 p.m. at the Chace Athletic Center Pool. Spectators are advised to get there by 12:45 p.m. if they want to do not want to miss the ceremonies honoring the nine Bulldogs set to graduate this May.