SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Setting two new school records, the Bryant University women's swimming and diving team sits in first place of the Northeast Conference Women's Swimming and Diving Championships after winning both relays.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"It was obviously a great start to the conference meet. We knew we were going to be able to swim fast, but that was REALLY fast. We're ready. We're ready to compete and go for this … I think momentum is definitely on our side now. If they were on the edge or iffy on buying into this, they just bought in. They have embraced the challenge and are ready to win a conference championship."
- The Bulldogs started the night with a victory in the 200 medley relay (1:40.88), with the team of Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain), Kayleigh Canavan (Cumberland, R.I.), Elin Svärd (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) and Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) taking home first place.
- Bryant finished the night with a record-setting 800 freestyle relay (7:22.53), with Alyssa DiFiore (Wethersfield, Conn.) and Valeria Watson (Mexico City, Mexico) joining Scifo and Rice to win that relay, setting a new Northeast Conference record.
Stats and Notes
- The old school record in the 200 medley relay was 1:43.33.
- Bryant broke both the school record (7:27.50) and Northeast Conference record (7:24.90) in the 800 freestyle relay.
- That is the first time the Bulldogs won the 200 medley relay and the first time they won both Wednesday night relays.
The first full day of competition begins in East Meadow with the prelims beginning at 10:00 a.m. and finals commencing at 6:00 p.m. tomorrow night.