SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Powered by wins in the first five races, the Bryant University women's swimming team earned its first victory of the 2018-19 season on Friday night, defeating Providence 204-95.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"Our women swam very well for the most part. There were a lot of highlights and positives to take away. We just have to stay focused and keep working hard and we'll be fine."
The Bulldogs were able to separate themselves after 1-2-4 finishes in the 100 back and 100 breast, the fourth and fifth races of the night, and kept it the rest of the way.
How the Swimmers Fared
- Junior Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) led the Bulldogs with three individual victories in the 800 free (9:27.53), 200 free (2:07.26) and 200 back (2:21.12). She also was on the winning relay team that started the night strong with a 3.64-second margin of victory.
- Senior Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) also recorded four wins on the night, being on both the 200 medley and 200 free relay teams that earned victories. She swam to individual wins in the 50 free (27.10) and 100 free (59.10).
- Sophomore Heather Wong (Ramsey, N.J.) went three for three, with a 200 medley relay win, as well as a 100 breast (1:13.96) and 200 breast (2:42.39) win.
- Sophomore Elin Svard (Falun, Dalarna, Sweden) picked up an individual win in the 200 individual medley (2:25.59).
- Sophomore Alexa Rivera (Boynton Beach, Fla.) won the 100 back (1:07.37) by 0.10 seconds, while junior Alyssa DiFiore (Wethersfield, Conn.) won the 400 free (4:37.13).
Coach LoCurto's Comments
"The divers really stepped it up this week. They are really getting closer to their early-season averages and are continuing to improve as the weeks go by."
How the Divers Fared
- The Bulldogs swept both boards as all six divers finished first through sixth in the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.
- Seniors Ann Burdick (Glenmont, N.Y.) and Stephanie Jennings (Elmont Park, N.Y.) won the 3-meter and 1-meter, respectively.
- Jennings won her board with a score of 234.52 and Burdick took home a victory with a score of 253.27.
Bryant finishes their three road meets to start the year on Saturday afternoon when they swim against Iona at 1 p.m. in New Rochelle, N.Y.