SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's swimming and diving team took home four individual victories and another relay victory to cap an outstanding weekend at the Gompei Invitational.
Bryant won the meet for the first time in program history, finishing with a combined score of 5,269.5 points. It was almost one thousand more than the second-place team. The Bulldogs broke 17 meet records and set five pool records over the course of three days.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"This was the perfect weekend for the Bulldogs. I could not be more pleased with all the performances! We won the invite for the first time thanks to a great team effort by all swimmers and divers. We broke a ton of meet and pool records, as well. It proves that hard work and attention to detail pays off. We are eager to get back to work and have a great training month."
How it Happened
- Jillian Rice (Trumbull, Conn.) opened the final day with a victory in the 100 free, touching with a time of 51.11.
- Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) followed Rice's victory with a win in the 200 back, finishing in 2:01.80. Caitlin Dye (Natick, Mass.) finished in third with a time of 2:06.44.
- Scifo continued her busy Sunday with a third-place finish in the 500 free (5:06.83).
- Alyvia Beaudion (Cypress, Texas) joined her in the A final, finishing 10th with a time of 5:17.90.
- Bryant dominated the 100 IM as Elin Svard (Falun, Sweden) took first and Heather Wong (Ramsey, N.J.) and Sara Gendron (North Smithfield, R.I.) went 3-4.
- Kayleigh Canavan (Cumberland, R.I.) gave Bryant a victory in the 50 breast, finishing with a time of 30.09.
- Bryant saw success in the 200 fly as Svard, Meghan Veenstra (Tyngsborough, Mass.) and Domenica Alcala (Cancun, Mexico) went 2-3-4.
- Bryant capped its strong weekend with a victory in the 400 free relay. Scifo, Beaudion, Alcala and Rice won the event with a time of 3:31.43.
- Bryant also took home five of the top six spots in the synchronized diving.
The Bulldogs are off until January when they take their annual training trip. Their next dual meet is January 12 at UMass.