SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's swimming and diving team earned a decisive 222-72 victory over Iona College on Saturday afternoon at the Chace Athletic Center Pool.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"We had a great week and it's awesome to end it with a win on both sides. Everyone did a good job working on the details this past week and it showed. Both men and women stepped up today and performed great all around."
Notes and Notables
- Bryant opened the meet with a victory in the 200 medley relay. Lindsey Choate (Upper St. Claire, Pa.), Kayleigh Canavan (Cumberland, R.I.), Elin Svard (Falun, Sweden) and Laurel Carey (Madison, N.J.) won the event with a time of 1:49.04.
- The Bulldogs then swept the 1000 free as Sammi Grenon (Chesire, Conn.), Alexa Rivera (Boynton Beach, Fla.) and Kelly Tiernan (Hartford, Conn.) went 1-2-3 in the event.
- Erin Doruska (Ankeny, Iowa) won the 200 free once again, finishing ahead of Alyssa DiFiore (Wethersfield, Conn.).
- Alaina Scifo (Ipswich, Great Britain) went on to win both the 100 back (59.85) and 200 back (2:06.75).
- Heather Wong (Ramsey, N.J.), Canavan and Eliza Brant (Hauppauge, N.Y.) swept the 100 and 200 breast events.
- Reeta Kanervo (Oulu, Finland) earned her first collegiate victory with a win in the 50 free (23.93). She went on to win the 100 free as well.
- DiFiore went on to earn a first-place finish in the 500 free (5:18.05).
- Svard went on to earn a first-place finish in the 100 fly (59.51).
- Rivera capped Bryant's dominant day in the pool with a victory in the 200 IM.
- The Bulldogs then closed the meet with a win in the 400 free relay. Doruska, Carey, Rylee Wirtanen (Lexington, Mass.) and Alexandra Heim (Middletown, N.J.) took the event.
- On the boards, Gabrielle Ritzer (Sutton, Mass.) won the 1-meter with a score of 218.10, while Kyri Chambo (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) won the 3-meter with a score of 230.40.
The Bulldogs will face Central Connecticut in a two-day meet that begins on Friday, Oct. 1.