SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team won its first dual match of the fall on Sunday, defeating the University of Rhode Island, 5-2.
Bryant 5, Rhode Island 2
Records: Bryant (1-0, 0-0 NEC), URI (0-1, 0-0 A-10)
Location: URI Tennis Complex (Kingston, R.I.)
Order of Finish: Doubles: 1,2,3 | Singles: 3,4,5,1,2,6
COACH CILLI'S COMMENTS
"I'm really happy with our win over URI yesterday. Going into the match, I felt as though we were pretty evenly matched on paper and that if we played well, we could possibly pull it off. Once we clinched the doubles point, and 4, 5 and 6 singles were in control of their first sets, I knew our depth was going to win out, and it did. We were a deeper team, right down to the last player and that's what gave us the edge. As with all matches there is always room for improvement—we will continue to fine tune doubles and work on our competitiveness/singles strategy."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Senior Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and freshman Caterina Luisa Rokke (Oslo, Norway) were able to defeat URI's Rachel Smilansky and Halah Davis, 6-4.
- No. 2 – Seniors Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) and Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) sealed the doubles point with a convincing 6-2 victory over Mihaela Codreanu and Paige Alshon.
- No. 3 – Freshman Arianna Oropeza Petersen (Weston, Fla.) and sophomore Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) sealed a clean sweep of the doubles matches with a 6-4 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- No. 1 – URI's Codreanu swept Sjoberg, 7-5, 6-1 at top singles spot.
- No. 2 – URI's Smilansky earned a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Rokke at the No. 2 singles spot.
- No. 3 – Campfield earned a thrilling three-set victory over Ariel Haber at the third spot. Campfield lost the first set, 6-3, but rebounded to win the second set 6-2 before winning 10-8 in the third set.
- No. 4 – Arroyo clinched the match with her victory over Davis. She won 6-1, 6-3.
- No. 5 – Oropeza Petersen swept Alshon, 6-0, 6-3.
- No. 6 – Freshman Gabrielle Bergeron (Quebec, Canada) closed out the successful day with a 6-2, 6-1 sweep of Nicole Legler.
- Sjoberg/Rokke (BRY) def. Smilansky/Davis (URI); 6-4
- Campfield/Arroyo (BRY) def. Codreanu/Alshon (URI); 6-2
- Oropeza Petersen/Gottlieb (BRY) def. Haber/Legler (URI); 6-4
- Codreanu (URI) def. Sjoberg (BRY); 7-5, 6-1
- Smilansky (URI) def. Rokke (BRY); 6-2, 7-5
- Campfield (BRY) def. Haber (URI); 3-6, 6-2 (10-8)
- Arroyo (BRY) def. Davis (URI); 6-1, 6-3
- Oropeza Petersen (BRY) def. Alshon (URI); 6-0, 6-3
- Bergeron (BRY) def. Legler (URI); 6-2, 6-1
The Bulldogs will play their second dual match of the fall on Oct. 8 when they face Monmouth at the URI Tennis Complex.