SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team opened its spring trip with a 6-1 loss to Army on Tuesday morning.
Freshman Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) picked up the lone point for the Black and Gold, winning at No. 3 singles.
Bryant 1, Army 6
Records: Bryant (4-5), Army (12-5)
Location: IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
How it happened (Doubles)
- The Black Knights picked up the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. At No. 2, seniors Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) picked up a 7-5 victory.
How it happened (Singles)
- Army won in straight sets at 1, 2, 4 and 5. At No. 3, Oropeza won in three sets, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. Redshirt freshman Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) also went to three sets, falling 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.
- Joyner/Son (ARMY) def. Campfield/Arroyo (BRY), 6-3
- Sjoberg/Luiggi (BRY) def. Funaro/Inchauste (ARMY), 7-5
- Mayfield/Lacombe (ARMY) def. Tan/Gottlieb (BRY), 6-4
- Joyner (ARMY) def. Campfield (BRY), 7-5, 6-3
- Einck (ARMY) def. Luiggi (BRY), 6-2, 6-2
- Oropeza (BRY) def. Inchauste (ARMY), 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Funaro (ARMY) def. Gottlieb (BRY), 6-2, 6-3
- Son (ARMY) def. Tan (BRY), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
- Larcombe (ARMY) def. Rokke (BRY), 6-3, 6-1
Bryant continues its spring break trip on Wednesday morning when it faces Navy at 10:45 a.m.