SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team dropped a hard-fought battle with Quinnipiac, 5-2, on Thursday afternoon in Florida.
Two of the three doubles matches went to tiebreaks, while all but one singles match went three sets.
Bryant 2, Quinnipiac 5
Records: Bryant (4-7), Quinnipiac (7-5)
Location: IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
How it happened (Doubles)
- Bryant grabbed a quick 1-0 lead in doubles as seniors Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) and Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) won 6-2.
- Quinnipiac, however, was able to win at No. 2 and No. 3 to win the point. The Bobcats won, 7-6 (8-6), at No. 2 and 7-6 (11-9) at No. 3.
How it happened (Singles)
- Five of the six singles matches were decided in a third set. Quinnipiac was able to win at No. 1, No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6.
- Arroyo and freshman Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) were both able to rally from first-set defeats to win at No. 3 and No. 5. Arroyo dropped her first set, 6-7, before winning the final two, 7-6, 1-0. Oropeza dropped her first set, 6-2, but dominated the final two sets, 6-1, 6-0.
- Campfield/Arroyo (BRY) def. Lu/Rodriguez (QU), 6-2
- Vasile/Lohaphaisan (QU) def. Sjoberg/Luiggi (BRY), 7-6 (8-6)
- Bradley/Yanosov (QU) def. Tan/Gottlieb (BRY), 7-6 (11-9)
- Vasile (QU) def. Campfield (BRY), 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
- Lu (QU) def. Sjoberg (BRY), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
- Arroyo (BRY) def. Rodriguez (QU), 6-7, 7-6, 1-0
- Lohaphaisan (QU) def. Luiggi (BRY), 6-7, 7-5, 1-0
- Oropeza (BRY) def. Nash (QU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
- Yanosov (QU) def. Gottlieb (BRY), 7-5, 1-0, retired
Bryant wraps up its spring break trip on Friday with a match against Northern Iowa.