SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team wrapped up its spring break with a victory, defeating Northern Iowa, 5-2, on Friday afternoon in Bradenton, Florida.
Bryant 5, Northern Iowa 2
Records: Bryant (5-7), Northern Iowa (3-7)
Location: IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
How it happened (Doubles)
- The Panthers won at No. 1 doubles, but the Black and Gold were able to rebound to take the doubles point. Redshirt freshman Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) and sophomore Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) evened things with a 6-3 win at No. 3, while seniors Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) clinched the point with a 7-5 win at No. 2.
How it happened (Singles)
- Bryant quickly clinched the match with victories at No. 6, No. 4 and No. 5. Tan capped a perfect day with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 6, Luiggi won, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4 and freshman Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5.
- The Bulldogs also received a victory from senior Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) at No. 1. She won, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
- Kemper/Lynch (UNI) def. Campfield/Arroyo (BRY), 6-1
- Sjoberg/Luiggi (BRY) def. Proudfoot/Caro (UNI), 7-5
- Tan/Gottlieb (BRY) def. Toledo/Hunt (UNI), 6-3
- Campfield (BRY) def. Kemper (UNI), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
- Lynch (UNI) def. Sjoberg (BRY), 7-6 (6), 6-1
- Toledo (UNI) def. Arroyo (BRY), 7-5, 7-5
- Luiggi (BRY) def. Proudfoot (UNI), 6-2, 6-2
- Oropeza (BRY) def. Caro (UNI), 6-2, 6-4
- Tan (BRY) def. Hunt (UNI), 6-0, 6-0
Bryant returns to the Northeast for its final four regular-season matches of the season, beginning on Mar. 24 against Fairleigh Dickinson at home.