SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The second-seeded Bryant University women's tennis team is heading to the Northeast Conference Championship match for the third time in four years after a dominating 5-0 win over sixth-seeded Mount St. Mary's on Sunday afternoon.
Bryant will now face top-seeded LIU Brooklyn in the finals on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. The Bulldogs defeated the Blackbirds, 4-0, to win their only NEC title back in 2015.
Bryant 5, Mount St. Mary's 0
Records: Bryant (11-8), Mount St. Mary's (5-17)
Location: Mercer County Park (West Windsor, N.J.)
Coach Cilli's Comments
"Props to Mount St. Mary's. They came out really strong in doubles and we struggled early on. We got our bearings, which swung the momentum our way and we rode that right into singles. We are happy with the overall performance. One and two singles were still playing. Both seniors won their first sets before the match was clinched, so everyone came out feeling good going into tomorrow's match."
How it happened (Doubles)
- The Mountaineers put up an early challenge against the Bulldogs before Bryant was able to clinch the point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Seniors Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) and Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) won 6-4 at No. 2 and redshirt freshman Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) and sophomore Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) won 6-3 at No. 3.
How it happened (Singles)
- Bryant clinched the match the same way it did in the quarters, winning at each of the final four singles spots. Senior Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3, Luiggi won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4, freshman Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) won 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 and Gottlieb won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6.
- Both Sjoberg and fellow senior Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) were up a set but went unfinished.
- The Bulldogs will enter Sunday's championship match on a five-match winning streak.
- Bryant surrendered just 16 total games on the afternoon.
- Bryant will be making its third appearance in the NEC Championship match (2015, 2016).
- The Bulldogs won their only NEC title in 2015, defeating LIU Brooklyn, 4-0.
- The Blackbirds defeated 7-0 earlier this year.
- Oropeza has now won each of her last eight matches and is 14-4 on the year.
- Luiggi extended her winning streak to five matches.
1 – Campfield/Arroyo (BRY) vs. Quintanilla/Davis (MSM), 5-4, unfinished
2 – Luiggi/Sjoberg (BRY) def. Smith/Kamprath (MSM), 6-4
3 – Tan/Gottlieb (BRY) def. Blake/Gamble (MSM), 6-3
1 – Campfield (BRY) vs. Quintanilla (MSM), 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
2 – Sjoberg (BRY) vs. Davis (MSM), 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
3 – Arroyo (BRY) def. Kamprath (MSM), 6-0, 6-0
4 – Luiggi (BRY) def. Gamble (MSM), 6-1, 6-1
5 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Smith (MSM), 6-3, 6-1
6 – Gottlieb (BRY) def. Blake (MSM), 6-1, 6-0
The Bulldogs will face top-seeded LIU Brooklyn in the championship match on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.