SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team battled but ultimately fell to top-seeded LIU Brooklyn, 4-1, on Sunday afternoon in the Northeast Conference title match.
The Bulldogs close their season with an 11-9 overall record, while the Blackbirds picked up their second-straight league title. Bryant was playing in the league finals for the third time in four years.
Bryant 1, LIU Brooklyn 4
Records: Bryant (11-9), LIU Brooklyn (17-4)
Location: Mercer County Park (West Windsor, N.J.)
Coach Cilli's Comments
"We are so proud of what this team accomplished this year. We built our whole season around the face that we'd be seeing LIU in the finals of the NECs. Our plan was to get our team ready and able to play smarter tennis and by playing our game, not theirs. We were not the same team that lost to LIU, 7-0, in the winter.
In terms of our match, we were disappointed that we lost our opportunity to snag the ever-important doubles point, but we still came out to fight hard in singles. We got to them. We weren't giving them all the pace that they loved, but we were making dents in their confidence and picking up momentum. At the end of the day, though, being the talented team that LIU is, they go the points they needed to come out on top. We may have been the underdog, but we didn't play like we were."
How it happened (Doubles)
- It was a battle throughout in doubles but the Blackbirds were able to come out victorious, 6-4, at both No. 1 and No. 3.
- At No. 2, seniors Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) were up 5-3 before the match went unfinished.
How it happened (Singles)
- Bryant picked up its only point in the match as freshman Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 5.
- The Blackbirds clinched the match with victories at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 6.
- At No. 3, senior Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) dropped the first set but was up 4-3 in the second before it went unfinished.
- At No. 4, Luiggi won the first set 6-2 and was tied 5-5 in the second set before it went unfinished.
- Bryant was appearing in the NEC title match for the third time four years.
- Bryant is now 1-2 in the NEC title match.
- Oropeza ended her rookie season on a nine-match winning streak.
1 – Grigoryan/Leonte (LIU) def. Campfield/Arroyo (BRY), 6-4
2 – Sjoberg/Luiggi (BRY) vs. Brzozowska/Bollweg (LIU), 5-3, unfinished
3 – Gogova/Leysen (LIU) def. Tan/Gottlieb (BRY), 6-4
1 – Grigoryan (LIU) def. Campfield (BRY), 6-0, 6-1
2 – Brzozowska (LIU) def. Sjoberg (BRY), 6-2, 6-0
3 – Arroyo (BRY) vs. Bollweg (LIU), 5-7, 4-3, unfinished
4 – Luiggi (BRY) vs. Leysen (LIU), 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
5 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Gogova (LIU), 6-4, 6-1
6 – Krug (LIU) def. Gottlieb (BRY), 6-2, 7-5