Sep 29, 2018
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team opened the Army Invitational with four victories on Friday in West Point, New York.
How it Happened
- Freshman Sarah Hickey (Toronto, Ont.) posted an 8-4 win over Claire Czerwonka from Valparaiso in A singles.
- Sophomore Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) advanced to the second round in the B flight with a 8-7 (4) victory over NJIT's Mayar Eltony.
- Junior Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) claimed an 8-1 victory over Valparaiso's Dao Sysouvanh in the C flight.
- Freshman Yasemin Boru (Boca Raton, Fla.) lost to Quinnipiac's Jennifer Lu, 8-1.
- Junior Gabrielle Bergeron (Quebec, Canada) fell to Fairfield's Sophia Prinos, 8-5.
- Classmate Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) was defeated by Stony Brook's Ester Chikvashvili, 8-2.
- Freshman Leanne Kendall (Lakeville, Mass.) lost to Oceane Garibal from St. John's, 8-4.
- In doubles, Tan and Gottlieb were defeated by Wind/Paradise from Valpo, 6-2.
- Boru and Hickey teamed up to defeat Dun and S. Eisenberg from Binghamton, 6-3. The Bulldog duo was then defeated by a UConn duo, 6-3.
- Bryant's two other doubles teams of Rokke and Oropeza and Bergeron and Kendall both were defeated. Rokke and Oropeza fell 6-2, while Bergeron and Kendall fell 6-4.
Bryant begins day two of the Army Invitational at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning.